Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Landing page relevance is dropping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

We've seen a decrease in landing page relevance in past few weeks. I'm trying to figure out the cause for this.

this the landing page: http://www.scan2cad.com/convert-bitmap-vector/  

Keyword theme: "convert bitmap to vector"

I've seen discussions about adding canonical tag to fix duplicate content issues in adwords landing pages. But I thought it's better to have a discussion about the issue before sending out a suggestion to client.  

any advice would be appreciated!

Many Thanks,

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing page relevance is dropping

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Abith,

Duplicate content shouldn't be hurting your adwords relevance. Typically duplicate content (and rel=canonical tags) are a concern for SEOs rather than PPCs. Has anything been changed recently within your landing pages? Can you tell is a bit more about when you began to notice the drop?

Thanks,
Amy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy,

Thanks for reply,

I was under the same impression but recently I did some testing with canonical tag & Improved relevance.

We have same issue across 2 or 3 accounts. One common factor about these accounts that they use 3rd party tools for creating landing pages.

To answer your questions.
No Nothing has changed on these pages for at least 6 months. The dropping was huge, from 8-7/10 to 4/10. It's only been 2-3 weeks.

I can tell both Expected CTR & Ad relevance are still above average for most of the keywords.

Many Thanks,
Abith

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Abith,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

To me, you should add some more text contents on the page. One or two paragraph of relevant and original content should work to improve your landing page relevance. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Thanks for the suggestion,

Your are right, but the problem here is we've about 30+ landing pages & it will not be the ideal solution.

We'll be forced to do it if there is no other solution left.

Thanks
Abith
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abith R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Abith,

As soon as I opened your landing page, there was an instant pop up asking me for my email address for some free trial I believe. That is something which looks irritating to me as a user because I just landed on the page and I was asked for an email address. Also AdWords is pretty strict about the policy related to Pop ups.

Read this for more details: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021546?rd=1#026

I also believe that more emphasis is put on the images rather than on the content of the page. So as said above, I would also suggest adding more relevant content so that it becomes more relevant for the users.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, this can be a problem. I'll just add that to do list.

Popup is increasing conversions a lot, But if it is leading to low quality score or policy violation then it is better to remove it.

Many Thanks,
Abith

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Abith,

I can understand that it is going to be a bit time-taking for you to add relevant contents on all your landing pages. But the fact, AdWords knows no emotion Smiley Happy. It understands the language of quality and relevancy, and to please it you should make it your priority to make your landing pages as relevant as you possible.

After all, when it relates to better performance, I think you should rethink on it. 

One more thing, the presence of relevant contents is a decisive factor for better quality scores.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Two points to underline here (both already mentioned)

• First, you have a pop-up upon landing on the page - this is a violation of the Policy and annoys users
  • Second - as for the content: as an engineer familiar with drawings and CAD, I wasn't able to understand (upon visiting the landing page) what is the service / product, and thus did not convert. What is the advantage over other similar products in the market? As Ratan suggested: work on the content of the page.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks All for the suggestions,

We've decided to take-off popup & slowly add more text and graphical contents on landing pages.

Thanks again,
Abith