Guide Me
star_border

Landing page experience - below average

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Grateful if somebody can give me a hint:

I have an Ad that contains the search keyword on the first row. The search keyword (in fact 2 words) can be found within the URL of the landing page and within its meta "Title" and "Description". 

The same keyword can be found on the "h1" text title of the page and has a density of (roughly) 2.3% within the text of the page (total words count around 900, except for the stop words).

However, the landing page experience is considered "below average" from the beginning and does not intend to increase.

What makes Google think that my page stinks and how can I fix it?

Thank you,

M.

P.S. I didn't post the landing page URL - I am not sure it is allowed on the forum.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing page experience - below average

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google nowadays uses more sophisticated  text recognition algorithms than the simple "technical" algorithms of the past. (The bots can actually read and recognize the theme of a written text,). I  personally don't put much focus on landing page experience as long it is  structured  properly, based on the guidelines, and its loading time is OK.

Focus on the CTR. This is the predominant factor in calculating  QS

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Mihai,

Is this something you've been experiencing for a while now or perhaps in the past day or so. If it's more recent, there has been an issue recognized by Google that is impacting a number of advertisers and their quality scores, specifically noted are drops in the 'landing page quality' portion of the QS diagnosis.

Just in case this was relevant to you, I wanted to give you a heads up.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/UZMcjQ84WC7

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe, thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately, for me it is a matter of "who was the first? the egg or the chicken?".
I have no CTR to focus on, because my ad does not show (although "Displaying adds right now?" always says "Yes"). I'm granted with 1 (one) impression per day - and that is on the best day.
The ad quality score is 2 for the keyword that has the best match with my page and it is 1 for the keyword that I consider to be average match.
I am not aware about any penalty on my URL, nor about any critical technical issues of the site.

I'm not convinced that the site is one of the worst "user experience", thus, I can't aim for a radical change of content... have no direction for that. I still have the feeling that the issue is somewhere else and I can't find it...

M.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the link. It means that I should wait a little before a conclusion.
Still, that maximum 1 impression per day raises lots of questions for me, but it looks that I can not change it. Maybe I could boost it with a big investment in an insane bid, however, I shall not do that because... it's not a game, it really hurts the pocket.

As another strange situation: sometimes, a search for my keyword returns NO paid ads - it shows me that my ad is not even taken into account (although although "Displaying adds right now?" on my account always says "Yes").

Thanks,
Cheers,
Mihai

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK;

We are moving one step backwards: the issue is not CTR (anymore) but the no impressions (at all..)

I sense / feel that the issue here is with the choice of keywords,  mach types and bid -  not of the landing page,

If you hardly get any impressions, this means that the ad rank is low, and the ad is not taking part in  auctions. Remember that your initial QS is a "default QS", assigned to you, initially, based on QS of other advertisers. (Until you get enough impressions and your campaign CTR and performance "kicks in" for QS calculation). 

If your list of keywords is carefully chosen, relevant for the product / service promoted, I would  first increase the bid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, the issue looks to be the bid (although it is not obvious from Google messages). The recommended bid in Keyword planner is around 7 USD/click (that's what I name "insane" bidding). In fact, I noticed that I still can get a few impressions per hour at a bid of 2.5 USD/click.
I have red somewhere that a good match between the ad, the keyword and the page would radically decrease the CPC cost, but now I'm not sure it really happens.

At 1% conversion to sales, selling of one product would cost between 250 and 700 USD in advertising. There are very few products in the world that can cover such an advertising cost. It this case, we should focus on products above 5000 $ price and high margin. A margin of 20%*5000 would mean 1000$, which is enough to cover the 250 - 700 $ cost for adwords, and still make some little profit...