Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Landing page experience below average

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I simply cannot see how my page fails to meet the landing page experience measures - I will take the google documentation items one by one, page is http://www.hockeypoolguru.com

1. Providing relevant, useful, and original content - my page is an application, a hockey pool manager - right at the top of the page is a slideshow of it, a login area, and a "new customer" area - which offers (in bright red letters) a full demo. I don't sell bobbleheads, jerseys, infopacks, or anything - it's an office pool manager, that's it

2. promoting transparency and fostering trustworthiness on your site (for example, by explaining your products or services before asking visitors to fill out forms sharing their own information) - the slideshow and the demo explain it all, and there is no information requested whatsoever. You can set up an entire pool with dozens of users and never once are required to provide even so much as an email address. 12,000 facebook likes speaks volumes as well

3. making it easy for customers to navigate your site (including on mobile sites) - the only clickable/typeable areas are a login area, and a "new customer" area - that's it! A few hockey headlines below, and a facebook plugin. I don't think it could be simpler.

4. encouraging customers to spend time on your site - that would be the slideshow, and the full demo. You could easily spend 20 minutes in the live real-pool demo which is incredibly easy to navigate

5. making sure your page loads quickly so people who click your ad don’t give up and leave your site prematurely - I use a sophisticated framework - Sencha EXTJS - yes, it is a 1mb load - I cannot do anything about that. In an era where we all watch movies online, a 1mb text load (cached thereafter obviously) doesn't seem like a lot for what Sencha delivers.

If anyone has suggestions as to why I simply cannot get a better page ranking, I'd be happy to hear. Been though google livechat - all they can suggest is I keep raising my bid. I cannot outspend this automated ranking system!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing page experience below average

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, so in the few minutes since I posted this my landing page scores have marginally improved - from 1/10 to 3/10, this can't be a coincidence as I've been working on this for many days now! If it's not a coincidence, then thank you to the mystical powers out there.

But here is the thing - google is not recognizing "officepools" as a term that matches my page, and I don't think any automated quality evaluation system ever could. My page is an NHL office pool manager, and legitimatelys uses officepools in metatags. I understsand google has to prevent people from using irrelivant keywords - like spamming "officepools" all though their homepage. I was tempted to do that because my page is for office pools, but that shouldn't have to be. Personally, I think if people spam irrelevant keywords all over - google should take their money, but I understand it's bad for their search customers.

I'll still hold out hope for a better ranking, I feel it's better than 3/10 - but that's 2/10ths better than the 1/10 I had a few minutes ago.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hi hockeypoolguru,

I had a look at your site / landing page, these are some of the things that come to mind:

• Make sure your content is not just relevant, but relevant to the keyword you're using to advertise
  • Speed is important. I understand you're using a 1MB framework, but apart from that there is still quite a bit you can do (better image compression, caching, ...)  Have a look at Google's PageSpeed Insights, it can analyze your site, give it a speed score and tell you exactly where it thinks optimization is in order. Since this is also a Google service, i think it's not too far-fetched to assume that the adwords algorithm for determining speed is very similar
  • Create a privacy policy
  • You have a login form, but without encryption

Hope this helps!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Looking at your landing page in the eyes of a Robot..Because it's basically what the spider bots do.

Have you ever done a ViewSource on your own site? I think you should.

If we look at your site in the eyes of the Bots.. You basically are not showing much. ( Ie Words ), The only words you show is your Comment to Microsoft, and your Title, and meta,... that's the total amount of content on your site in WORDS.

Everything else are call's to the database, scripts, etc but NO WORDS...

Keep in mind, your Keywords & Ads attempt to match up to your Landing page. WORDS

SO How much Do they match with these limited words that appear on your site???:

<!-- I just want to take a moment out of my day to say ..... YOU MICROSOFT, you big - fat - slow - stupid - thoughtless - monopoly - shove your metatags up your **bleep**..
Makes officepools a breeze! Flexible hockey pool manager with box pools, trades, reserves, custom positions, drops/keeps, live updates">
"Free Hockey Pool Manager - NHL OHL WHL QMJHL">

So yes your website has POOR Landing page experience because the BOT only sees the words... and you have what (not counting the commented out ) via a "keyword density check"

Total word count:
30 (33 including stop words)
Unique words:
21 (24 including stop words)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You are bang on about the keyword matching the site - I just did a reply to my own post to note that the keyword "officepools" - the one I really really need, is the one constantly rejected. I don't believe any automated evaluation system can reliably determine the semantics of matching "officepools" to "NHL Hockey Pool Manager". The FAR more broad "hockey pool" phrase brings in tons of less relevant customers - they are looking to join big money hockey pools, for hockey pool cheetsheets, boxpool layouts, etc. I spend a lot of money on far less targeted potential.

Speed - yes, you are right - but my site is 1mb framework load and about 200k the rest, so the actual page is roughly 0% of the size of the framework. I have a sneaking suspicion my google rank there is related to my page load size last year - it was EIGHT MEGABYTES (!!!) before I figured out how to use the Sencha compressed / minimal release. Sadly, 1mb is as low as I can get it. To me, Sencha is worth it. The only thing I can try is to not load sencha until the enter the actual pool manager - will take a few weeks, maybe next year. Then the homepage will load in 1 second flat.

Privacy policy - will look into. Emails and/or Facebook logins are always optional, and are absolutely not required to access any facet - but, privacy policy should be there to be professional - and users can in face use emails/facebook if they choose.

Encryption - yes, I simply cannot get my linux to work with my SSL certificate - Facebook decries this too. I have some learning to do. Gave up on it for this year.

Thanks for the responses, they are bang on.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Nearly all the content is loaded through an iFrame, which is why ViewSource doesn't see it or recognize it, though I'm sure it's not a problem for google bots. Might be best to use the webmaster tools "Fetch as Google" functionality to get a good idea as to how google sees the page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Eric - Eyes of a Robot - again, right on the money - good forum.

I totally forgot about that Microsoft hissyfit, I'll get on that tomorrow. (I get so tired of having to restest my entire app for every single version of IE, and having to custom code for each individual version of IE, and learning and meeting their demands - thus the hissy fit).

I made my robots.txt file minimal because google was picking up extended URL's that people were using to auto-login to their pool, and PUBLISHING THEM under my google page description as "pages to try" - so anyone could do it - yikes. But it's time to look and learn now that I have some time.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Since Ken mentioned The Fetch a Google Bot
Here is details on Fetch a Google Bot -
(since it is done through google webmaster tools verified sites) we can't view it.....

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ca/2014/05/rendering-pages-with-fetch-as-google.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Webmaster tools "Fetch as Google" - never heard of it, will do now.

Yes, the entire site is iframes - especially inside the app - I want it to look and feel like a desktop application and switch between (already opened) windows instantaneously, and open new windows without doing visible page swapping, forward/back, etc.

In the end, I don't really need anthing other than the homepage content and the recognition that it's a hockey pool manager - the rest of the dozens of pages loaded via iframe are aaaaaall just more and more hockey pool manager. It's a one trick pony (short of other sports) - I just want to make sure I can use adwords that match it's one trick

"Fetch as Google" might well help me figure out how google is capturing extended URL's used by my visitors and then publishing them under my page description - for exmaple: http://www.hockeypoolguru.com?pool=demo&password=demo&league=nhl&season_year=2013&season=Regular - that would show up under my google page description, but with actual pool data. That has to be done as a form post, and an encrypted one for sure.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Since Ken mentioned The Fetch a Google Bot" - Eric - that looks awesome. I will be on that all day tomorrow!