Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Pages - duplicate content

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Good Morning Advertisers!

I have a query from a client which I was not quite sure of myself.

We've created a website for a foam mattress with a bamboo cover, that is free of industrial toxins, has a trial period and is good for your spine etc etc.

My client has asked whether we can create multiple landing pages (which would be 90% the same) attached to multiple campaigns. For example;

1. Landing Page - attached to campaign holding adgroups based around 'memory foam mattress'.

- H1 text 'memory foam mattress'

- first paragraph "Our memory foam mattress...

- Remainder of page mentions keywords and variants throughout the page as well as a few small adjustments to make it relevant to topic.

2. Landing Page - attached to campaign holding adgroups based around 'European Mattress'.

- H1 text 'European mattress'

- first paragraph "Our European style mattress...

- Remainder of page mentions keywords and variants throughout the page as well as a few small adjustments to make it relevant to topic.

3. Landing Page - attached to campaign holding adgroups based around 'Bamboo Cover Mattress'.

- H1 text 'Bamboo Cover Mattress'

- first paragraph "Our Bamboo Covered Mattress...

My question is; Will Google allow this or penalize the website for duplicate content. And if not would adding a "noindex, nofollow" tag to the duplicate landing pages be sufficient so they aren't organically indexed?

Can't wait to hear back Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

As long as the campaign run from the same account - this is fine with no issue. 

Opening multiple accounts for that - is a serious violation.

This is a common practice to target different audiences using a slight (or compactly) different landing page.

The page should be accessible to the ad bot, so I see no reason why it would not be indexed. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok,

Thanks MosheTLV, the last  thing I want to do is violate google's terms of service so thanks for clarifying that for me.

Best Regards

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

note that the rules and outcomes for
google-organic-search are completely
and entirely separate from ads.

what may be entirely admissible under specific circumstances for one,
may be improper, risky, or require different adjustments for the other.

see also
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Celebird!

I'll make sure to indicate only one page to google in index organically.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is standard practice, however, beyond AdWords policies bear in mind this will have a negative impact on organic search.

Adding a no-index tag to the duplicate pages prevent this from becoming a problem to your organic search efforts. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Paul! 

Will certainly add this as part of the due diligence.

Best Regards

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Guys,

Is there any way to double check to ensure google isn't indexing the pages?

I'd like to be 100% sure before going live so that we aren't penalized by Google.

Thnaks

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Michael K;

You must allow the adbot access to the page, to "read" the content. This is the Policy: the landing page and the site must be accessible from all  locations and from all devices.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Forgive me MosheTLV, I'm not especially technical. 

I'm using a wordpress plugin (ticking the 'no index' option). I am assuming the google bot can still crawl the page but just won't index the page. At least that is what I am hoping for. 

A way to confirm this was what I was hoping to find. 

Regards