1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Page versus Content Originality

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website that advertises my widget repair services.  I repair blue widgets, green widgets, etc.

Right now my landing page for all of my ads is the home page, which is focused on widget repair services and mentions blue, green, etc. widgets as well.  It is full of original content.

I already have an ad group for each type of widget and in an effort to improve QS for my keywords I am considering making landing pages that are very similar to my existing home page, but much more focused for each type of widget.  The problem I'm worried about is that the pages themselves won't have much original content when compared to the home page, but compared to other websites they will be original.

My question boils down to:  when Google says they want to see original content on a landing page, do they mean when compared to the rest of the destination website or the internet-at-large?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing Page versus Content Originality

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
The original content means how it differs to from web pages across the web.

It doesn't matter if you have duplicate pages within your website and its ok to keep them in terms of ppc.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Hyphen, Hi StructurePPC

Iam sorry but it does matter - duplicate content, within the same website, can be extremely harmful to a website depending on how Google views it. It is at the very best risky.

The link below will bring you to a Google article on Duplicate Content,

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66359

If you must duplicate page content its imperative that you follow Google's advice on doing so - but if at all possible it should be avoided.

Dave

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
@ DavidHanafin

That's where i said in terms of ppc.

"It doesn't matter if you have duplicate pages within your website and its ok to keep them in terms of ppc. "

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Hypen,

There are two ways you can handle this.

First, you can block GoogleBot from crawling your landing pages using robots.txt.

Or, you can use the canonical meta-tag so specialized pages point to the original page where your copy came from.

Both will avoid the duplication penalty. I would recommend the first over the second as the copy is not identical.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for the information; I'm going ahead with my tailored landing pages but I'm not going to backlink to them and will use rel="canonical" pointing to my original homepage as a backup.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

petebardo wrote:

Hi Hypen,

There are two ways you can handle this.

First, you can block GoogleBot from crawling your landing pages using robots.txt.

Or, you can use the canonical meta-tag so specialized pages point to the original page where your copy came from.

Both will avoid the duplication penalty. I would recommend the first over the second as the copy is not identical.

Best of Luck!

Pete

This was posted as I was adding rel="canonical"!

I currently don't have a way for users to get to the landing pages using any links in the "regular" website. Is this also a solution or would it be best to add links but block crawlers with robots.txt?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Hyphen,

These are landing pages designed specificaly to go with your AdWords campaign. There's no reason to link to that page from other parts of your web site. I would still exclude googlebot from crawling those pages using robots.txt. It avoids the duplication penalty and it keeps your landing pages from showing in organic SERP's.

You might consider creating a folder for your landing pages. Then just block that folder in robots.txt.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

I have a doubt here.

One of the major factors when Google decides the quality of a landing page is - relevant and original content.

If you are blocking your ppc landing pages from google bot using robot.txt, how Google is going to evaluate landing page quality?

If the landing page is not properly evaluated by Google then that is going to affect quality score.

I have two questions here

1. Is the Google bot responsible for ppc landing page evaluation?

2. If not what is the other mechanism used by Google to evaluate ppc landing pages?

Regards,

Info

@ Hyphen - Thank you for bringing up this wonderful question.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

Can someone give a clarification on this one please?

Regards,

Info