Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

-

Google says that for the keyword

[explainer video]

I have a below average landing page experience with this page

http://bigmancgi.com/category/subjects/explainer-video/

I can't tailor it any more than this

Also, it gives [explainer animation] an average landing page experience score, any ideas?

Ive tweaked this page ALOT

thanks

Tom

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing Page problems

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ross.
First of all, don't shoot the messenger here. OK? Smiley Happy

To be honest, for me, the average john doe user, this landing page is an awful user experience. When I visited, I didn't know if the page had fully loaded or not. There's no navigation that makes sense and I have no idea what's going on.

You have what I call "ugly baby syndrome". You've probably spent so long working on this site that you think it looks great. With all due respect, it doesn't. Even after a few minutes, I find it hard to know what to do. Your navigation doesn't make any sense to me. At ALL.

In terms of AdWords, when the adwords bot visits your page, all it can see is what's in the source code. There's no actual text content on your page. It's just a bunch of images laid out in a seemingly arbitrary way. There's no way for Google to know what your page is about in it's current form.

I'd recommend that you go back to the drawing board with this in mind - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Finally, just another reminder not to shoot the messenger. I'm only trying to help and to do that, I had to tell you what you maybe didn't want to hear.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be glad to dive in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks Dave

I highly value constructive criticism like this , we know we have an ugly baby! we're actually re-designing this old site to be responsive now, with a more regular structure.

In the meantime, However, in terms of strictly 'landing page experience' 95% of our other keywords are actually getting an average score for landing page experience, so it leads me to believe it is something on this page specifically, or a problem with the keyword perhaps, its a highly commercialized keyword but not very specific / long tail.

thanks
Tom

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

There are various factors which are taken into consideration by AdWords while assigning the Quality Score.

There might be instances when you have a Good Quality Score but the ad relevance or as you said the Landing Page Experience might be below average. More details can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1659694?hl=en

I did a quick glance at your landing page and to me it looks like there is not enough content on that page which could drive more relevant traffic and hence improves customer experience. You can also work upon more call to actions in your page which can encourage the users to take some positive action online. Find more tips and suggestions here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3420765?hl=en

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ross,

As much as you may not want to hear it, Dave_Davis is on the money with this one. Kudos for the honesty!

Another useful link may be this one:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3420765?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks guys

pankaj Ive already read those pages thanks

yeah, until we solve the big website problem, I was wondering if there is anything we can do for the next 1-2 months to raise the QS on this one?

like I said, all other Keywords are 'average' landing page experience, so doesnt that rule out the actual bad webdesign in this case?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Ross,
Not necessarily.

You have no content on any pages so I would be more concerned about your other pages being considered irrelevant than trying to understand why they haven't yet. There's no way for Google to know what's on your pages.

As someone with many years experience in conversion rate optimization and AdWords, I can tell you here and now that you're leaving a LOT of wasted money on the table. I'd look into improving your website with PRIORITY, not in 12 months time. I don't think you realize how big a deal this is, and not just from an AdWords perspective.

Use the "fetch as google" tool in webmaster tools to see how Google views your site :
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/158587?hl=en

Your organic rankings are suffering because of this too.

It really doesn't take much time or effort to install wordpress with free or premium theme that will match your brand. Then add some content to your pages. I'd deal with this as a matter of priority. Arguing over why one page hasn't been hit yet is like a turkey that's upset that he wasn't "chosen" for thanksgiving Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hey dave
thanks for your thoughts, its great to here this.
the new website is top priority, I think you misread 1-2 months, thats as fast as we can implement a well planned, modern functional website
best
Tom

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Ross;

I am now reading over a cup of coffee the whole discussion. I have nothing to add, but to underline @Dave_Davis 's recommendation to go back to the drawing table and redesign  your website from scratch. Focus now on the landing page. Leave Adwords "grading " (which is more a broad  guideline than specific metrics) aside. Focus on the content and design / layout of the site.

When the content and the design are fixed / corrected, all other metrics will fall in place.

Look at the case studies in the user articles section of the community.(On the upper navigation bar). You'll find many tips and best practices about landing pages. 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks Everyone for some expert views, invaluble for me
I wish google support had a sharp critical eye like this!!

the redesign has been underway for a few weeks, so hopefully will get everything done in a month or so

best
Tom