3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Page / Quality Score Questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings all ... first time posting here. I'm really impressed by the activity on this forum!

I have three different adgroups in my campaign based on different keywords for video production services. Initially, the ad links all pointed to my home page, which is almost entirely thumbnails of videos and very little text.

After reading about Quality Score factors I decided to set up landing pages for each of the adgroups. I followed the guidelines (to the best of my ability) making sure they were relevant keyword-wise, transparency links, etc. To my surprise the Quality Scores immediately dropped in some cases from 6/10-10/10 down to 2/10-3/10. In fact, the one adgroup that does not yet have a landing page still has higer keyword QSs than the other two.

1) Does it take a while for the Quality Score to re-build itself after changing the link in the ad. I included keywords in the both the display URL and the link itself.

2) Why would a QS for a relevant landing page (IMHO) be lower than a QS for a home page that has almost no text, mostly consisting of thumnails?

3) Could it be that the implementation of negative keywords just prior to the new landing pages caused my traffic to suddenly decrease, thus causing a decrease in the QS?

4) A possibly related question ... is it ever a good idea in general to use all type matches in your keywords, e.g. corporate video production, "corporate video production", [corporate video production]. Would it ever make sense to do that?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Ed

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing Page / Quality Score Questions

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Filmshooter,

Once you check your QS you can see the "Landing page experience:" in a little QS bubble.

if your "Landing page experience" is below "average" please read this article about "How Google determine landing page experience" and make sure you pages "follow" the guidelines.

Good Luck,

Asaf

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Asaf, thanks for your feedback. As I stated in my original post, I followed the guidelines to the best of my ability. I'm new at this, but I'm pretty sure that the landing page I have now, (filmshooter.com/corporate-video/) is much better than the previous homepage link (filmshooter.com) regarding user experience. Perhaps its just a matter of time ...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author filmshooter
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Filmshooter,

I think what Asaf was referring to would be the status bubble (keyword diagnostics) next to the keywords.  What does this tell you regarding landing page experience?  Only if it is below average will it affect your quality score negatively.

It may take (I believe up to 1000) a number of impressions for your QS to be recalculated.  The reason for the quick change is that you changed your ads. This actually creates new ads and these new ads have no history to work with.  If your CTR remain the same as before the change, I think you'll find your QS return to the previous levels.

1) Does it take a while for the Quality Score to re-build itself after changing the link in the ad. I included keywords in the both the display URL and the link itself.  Yes indeed it does take a little time, these are treated as new ads, impressions are really what Google is looking for to reset the QS.

2) Why would a QS for a relevant landing page (IMHO) be lower than a QS for a home page that has almost no text, mostly consisting of thumnails? Once you check the keyword diagnostic, you'll be better able to tell if the landing page is causing any of your QS drops.

3) Could it be that the implementation of negative keywords just prior to the new landing pages caused my traffic to suddenly decrease, thus causing a decrease in the QS?  I don't think this would be the case. Negative KW are removing irrelevant traffic, CTR should increase with proper negative KW use, thus improving QS over time.

4) A possibly related question ... is it ever a good idea in general to use all type matches in your keywords, e.g. corporate video production, "corporate video production", [corporate video production]. Would it ever make sense to do that? I always tend to preface my answers to this question with a disclaimer that there is no real right or wrong here but then suggest that it never hurts to try.  You can identify which is the best performing KW for your account.  I would suggest modified broad match instead of just using broad alone.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, PPCBossman, for your answers. I will let things perculate for a while and see what happens.