4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Page Evaluation by Google: Part - 1

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

How Google evaluates a landing page when it is first used in an Adwords campaign?

One can see the quality scores immediately after uploading a campaign. That means the keywords, ads and landing page is evaluated by Google as per policies. Have a few queries reagarding this.

1. Is this instant evaluation performed by Googlebot?
  2. Is it the same system which evaluates a new website on submission to Google, or a different one specifically designed for Adwords?
  3. Do human review involved at any stage?

Info

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing Page Evaluation by Google: Part - 1

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Info;

Quote;

>>One can see the quality scores immediately after uploading a campaign. That means the keywords, ads and landing page is evaluated by Google as per policies

It is not quite the way it works.... Smiley Embarassed

Google explained the methodology of calculating QS for new campaigns in this article:

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

Thank you for your reply.

I am more concerned about the landing page content here, more than its affect on Quality Score.

The landing page content needs to be evaluated before it goes online in front of people who searches on Google (ideally).

So some sort of content evaluation process should be inplace to determine that the landing page content is compliant with Google advertising policies.

How this evaluation is done?

Info

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Smiley Happy

But still we have only assumptions, no clear answers.

It is time to get some more help.

Thanks again.

Info

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Zee,

Can you clarify this one for the community please?

Info

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello info;

Couldn't get back to you earlier, due to the AdWords communities summit....

These steps are done by a machine. Google does not disclose if the tools used for Google webmaster are also used for AdWords. The only comment Google would make is that the landing page should follow webmaster guidelines.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

Thank you very much for this clarification.

I asked the same questions in another thread here (Landing Page versus Content Originality) but without getting a proper answer. That’s the reason I started this new thread.

This clarification is very important for everyone creating new landing pages for PPC.

I have two more important questions

1. Google says landing pages should follow webmaster guidelines – That means duplicate content on any PPC landing page (when compared to original website) will attract penalty resulting in low Quality Score and high CPC – am I correct?
  2.  There was a suggestion in the earlier mentioned thread to use robot.txt to block new PPC landing pages from Googlebot to avoid duplicate content penalty – If one uses this method will that be considered as cloaking, resulting in account suspension?

Thanks again for the clarification.

Info.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again Info;

I would avoid "black hat" tricks, since experience shows that sooner or later these are found by the Google bots, and you are banned.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello Moshe,

Totally agree with you. That answers question number 2.

Can we get an answer for the first question? (duplicate content - low QS - high CPC)

Info

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again Info;

Sorry for the late response, As you probably notice, on the community home page, we had a great Adwords Communities Summit, hosted by Google;

What do you mean by "duplicate site"? Duplicating a site is prohibited by the "double serving" policy;

Having said that; there are businesses that have a dedicated landing page for a service/ product, separately from their website. That would not be considered a violation of the policy. Could you elaborate?

-Moshe