6.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Known Radius Targeting Issue & Location Extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been working with Google AdWords support over the last two weeks with an ongoing "location targeting extension" issue which I believe to be affecting overall potential clicks and decreased location extensions clicks.  The research started with noticing a drop in impressions and clicks on certain keywords within our accounts, along with a decrease in clicks to the location extensions.

I checked the account for errors and found while hovering over some of the Keyword Status clouds, the Ads Showing Right Now error of "Your ad isn't eligible to appear due to your advanced location targeting options".  I checked my geo targeting settings, I have a radius targeting of 15 miles, but certain zip codes within this radius have been excluded due to past poor performance. I am also targeting and excluding by physical location only.  I checked with Google support and received this reply after several emails:

I have seen that messaging regarding location targeting triggering 'ad unseen' because a client is using radius targeting as opposed to targeting a particular city. Moreover, I have seen this occur in the past when a client is both targeting and excluding the same location. Fixing this issue may allow you to get rid of that messaging. Ultimately though, it is something that may persist for any number of reasons.

Has anyone else encountered issues with this with radius targeting and has it also affected your overall location extensions impressions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Known Radius Targeting Issue & Location Extensions

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Anyone else with this issue? Let's share any info we have.

Thanks, 

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have experienced the same issue and we have seen a large drop in impressions in particular this month in campaigns using radius targeting.

Does anyone know if there have been changes to how the Google system managed radius targeting recently?

Thanks

Lauren

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

While we wait for a reply from the Google techs, I would say that a radius of 15 miles and excluding some zips within that radius is going to leave you with a pretty small target.  Here in the UK, a 15 mile radius could be virtually useless, depending upon where the centre is and some of our zip(post) codes cover a greater area than that!  This could be what Google support meant by including and excluding the same area...

Are you sure it's not simply that your targeting options are too restrictive?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm struggling with a similar issue. I think that Google likely has several ways to determine location, and few of them work well.

1. If the user has signed in, and has declared his address, or from other cookies, google knows his postal code, google can use that.

2. If the user has a default location set in google maps.

3. If browsing without a set location (e.g. not signed in) google uses your ISP concentrator location. (the gateway your household connects to.) In cities this can be fairly accurate. For a long time my location was Woodstock, Ontario, where the corporate headquarters of my ISP is. That's almost 3000 miles away. (I'm on a satellite link)