2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Kind of tricky question about broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, I got a kind of tricky question about broad match. 

Lets say your firm is called: XYZ Limited

and your brand keys are your best performing keys. How should I restructure the campaign,

So the keys are XYZ, XYZ Limited, XYZ Insurance, Insurance XYZ, XYZ-Insurance

And lets say the best performers are XYZ-Insurance and XYZ Insurance

All Keys are broad 

How would be the best way to get the best out of this two keys. Should I pause all the others? Or build a skag 

with these two.

Or stop the campaign completely with broad and play it out in exact or phrase.

Hope this insn´t to confusing. Thanks for the help   

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Kind of tricky question about broad match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Admin N

The Broad Match Modifiers will be helpful here. I will advise using the following -

• [xyz]
  • +xyz 
  • +xyz +limited
  • [xyz insurance]
  • [xyz-insurance] 
  • +xyzinsurance
  • +xyz +insurance 

Now, running the campaign for a few week, you can get the idea where to have a separate adgroup for insurance specific keywords or not.

Also, make sure you have proper negatives in place to avoid any irrelevant clicks. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hey Admin, 

There is no exact answer here and you'll get multiple opinions but that being said here is my 5 cents: 

#1 - Use broad modifiers instead of purely broad. I'm not a big fan of broad unless you're going fishing with this keyword or you're very confident about the variations its attracting OR you have a very robust negative keyword list. 

#2 - I would include XYZ-Insurance and XYZ Insurance as exact and phrase keywords but with high bids. 

#3 - You mentioned whether to pause the other keywords, my answer would be the following: run an AdPreview and Diagnosis on the keywords to see if they're overlapping to make sure you're not bidding against yourself. If not keep the keywords. If they are triggering your existing broad keywords for your main performing keywords then consider switching them to phrase, broad match or pausing them depending on whether these keywords in an exact manner have a history of converting or not. 

Let me know your thoughts on this. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Just a note that there is absolutely no difference between the following:

+xyz

+xyzinsurance

&

"xyz"

"xyzinsurance"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys, thanks for your great feedback. So Christopher if there is no difference between the keys. Shell I go on

with my top performers and pause all the others?

Maybe build skags for  XYZ-Insurance and XYZ Insurance ? thanks, looking forward to your opinion 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Admin N,

I would suggest separate ad groups for XYZ Limited and XYZ Insurance, so you can show the same name as the search query. And I'd separate these groups from all other keywords.

For your other keywords, you'll need to review the data. It they are profitable, keep them. If they're not profitable, consider pausing or removing.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

I would isolate the brand into its own campaign. If these are your best performing terms, you want to make sure your impression share is not limited by budget. If the current campaign is not generating 100% impression share, then you're missing impression share for the brand terms, because budget is going to less profitable areas.

If the broader match brand terms are generating impressions for non-brand queries, then restrict the match type, and/or add negatives. As long as all the queries coming through in the search terms report are for relevant brand terms, and you have the budget to achieve 100% impression share, then don't over think the brand campaign too much. You can end up doing more harm than good when you start limiting your brand campaign.

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

There is a difference between xyz and +xyz. A broad match keyword can trigger ads for synonyms and related searches in addition to close variants, but a modified broad match won't show ads for synonyms and related searches. 

Synonyms (like "quick" and "fast") and related searches (like "shoes" and "boots") aren't considered close variants.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497702

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

This is getting a bit off topic.

Like @Joshua R said: "There is no exact answer here and you'll get multiple opinions(.)"

Yup, different opinions indeed. Smiley Happy

Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Ratan,

Can you link to to a reliable source that confirms phrase matches are intended to match to synonyms? I can only find statements saying them match to close variants.

Thanks,

Chris