AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords with city name or generic?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question..

I am running campaign for specific city and using keywords such as in pune, in delhi etc and targeting location is set to city which mentioned in keywords.

So, what If I use generic keywords without mentioning city name in it. I know will not be targeted but still want to know how it is going to effect. I will use the same keywords but without city name.

I hope someone can show me way.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mansoor S
September 2015

Re: Keywords with city name or generic?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mansoor,

If you want to gain more impression and traffic its a good practice to target generic keywords with city specific keywords.
But to get better control over campaigns create a separate campaign for Generic keywords (keywords those do not have city names).
To ensure you are getting clicks from your targeted city only, you may exclude rest of the places and opt for "People in my targeted location" under location option.

Apart from this I will also suggest you to open your current campaign for whole India with phrase, BMM or exact match. This way you can target the intent of the people.
Because sometime people sitting out side your targeted location can also look for the services in your targeted  location.

For example- I am in Bangalore, but I can search for "flats under 50Lakh in Delhi" if I have plan to invest in Delhi.

-Rohit

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello,

if your business work with all geo's that you use in location targeting (in campaign settings) it's will be good to use keywords with and without words "in delhi", "in pune" etc because not all search terms that relevant to specific business contains geo name. For example "buy laplop" & "buy laptop in NY" - all these keywords are relevant to business that sell laptops across USA

Hope this help

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nazdin,

Thanks for replay.
But business dont work for globel only city level.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Then in your campaign, that has geo target on this specific city (the city where business works) you can use keywords with and without words which contain your specific city etc. But for campaigns that have "wider" geo target (if you have those campaigns) you should use keywords which contain your specific city

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

There are two question should be first asked here. Thee first one; are the keywords without the location names will trigger search terms with location names? The simple answer is YES,they will . This takes us to the second question; so why should I include the location name in my keywords? The answer is what if your competitors did, they could have the upper hand here when it comes to auction, since they using much more relevant keyword to the search terms.

You should first take into account the keyword itself, is it worthy adding a location variation of this keyword? is the keyword profitable? Will this improve the keyword performance? The bottom line is it depends on many factor the location, the competition, the business and the keywords themselves.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes on your first question - Competitors are also using keywords which dont have city name in it. only if I use exact match keyword then only other city level search queries will not conflict with my keywords. Also I will set location targeting to only cities I want to show my ads.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mansoor S
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mansoor,

If you want to gain more impression and traffic its a good practice to target generic keywords with city specific keywords.
But to get better control over campaigns create a separate campaign for Generic keywords (keywords those do not have city names).
To ensure you are getting clicks from your targeted city only, you may exclude rest of the places and opt for "People in my targeted location" under location option.

Apart from this I will also suggest you to open your current campaign for whole India with phrase, BMM or exact match. This way you can target the intent of the people.
Because sometime people sitting out side your targeted location can also look for the services in your targeted  location.

For example- I am in Bangalore, but I can search for "flats under 50Lakh in Delhi" if I have plan to invest in Delhi.

-Rohit

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I would argue differently :

If this is a big location, within a country in which   you can target at a city level (like India); It would be a redundancy to add the location name in the keyword. It would just extend  the list of keywords with no benefit.

On the other hand, if you  target a small location / suburb or  the system does not offer Geo targeting  at a city level,  (i.e the smallest area to target is a region) -  then, I would add the  location name as part of the keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Keywords with city name or generic?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This off-topic post has been archived by a Moderator, per our Community Guidelines. If you post again, please ensure that your post is specific to the Community and that it includes a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

Thank you for your understanding

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’