1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords triggering other ads question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am setting up a campaign for men's winter jackets, and need clarification on how I should tackle the keywords.

Can someone explain why I receive other keywords triggering the ad for the following two terms:

+men +warm +coat

+men "down jacket"

How are the two related that would cause these two keywords (using the broad match modifier) to conflict with each other? Should I only be bidding on the most generic keywords for my ad group, such as +men +winter +coat? Or should I not be using broad match modifiers for these? I want to make sure that "men" and it's variations are included for the search since the product is only targeted toward men.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords triggering other ads question

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Christopher,

I'd suggest going with +men +warm +coat, as the other one isn't the right way of using either BMM or phrase match. That would resolve the keyword conflict as well.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Sumanth!

One more question for you if you don't mind, if I change +men "down jacket" to +men +down +jacket is that acceptable or should I try to keep things as broad as possible?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Sure Christopher! Our community is open to questions, suggestions and discussions, so don't worry about posting questions.

+men +down +jacket would be a good keyword, as it caters to variations other than warm coat, so I'd suggest adding it. Further, I'd suggest having exact and phrase match keywords (like [mens coat], "mens jacket") as it may have high relevance to the ad text directly. Have you used the Keyword Planner to build a keyword list?

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I looked at the keyword planner briefly, and will explore it more today. I am going to segregate some themes to the keywords and make various ads and landing pages that target those themes to help the campaign perform better.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
That's the right strategy! Feel free to write back if you have any questions Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've been playing with some ad groups, and still get the keyword conflict. I'm using ad groups to have more relevant ads (winter coats in their own ad group, and winter jackets in a separate)

Should I be adding the other ad groups keyword list as a negative keyword list? For example, should I add the keywords in my "winter jacket" ad group to the negative keyword list in "winter coats"?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Christopher,

To show specific ads, you can add keywords from other ad groups as negatives. Just ensure you aren't adding them as broad negatives, as it may block a whole lot of searches.
Sumanth Sridhar