Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords to be deleted or paused

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have chosen keywords that match my services but to my dismay I am getting lot of impressions but no clicks therefore should I keep them any way or delete or pause them?

Warm regards,

Luth-fi

1 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author luthfe
September 2015

Re: Keywords to be deleted or paused

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Luft-fi,

If you're getting lots of impressions and no clicks then first check the CTR of these keywords. If CTR of keywords are near to or more than 1 then I'"ll suggest you to keep keywords active. If you think keywords are relevant to your business but not getting clicks then you need to check your ad texts, how relevant they are for all those keywords. This will help you to improve the CTR of keywords. You can pause keywords which have poor CTR. And if your keywords are too much generic, not relevant enough and very low CTR then it's better you delete those keywords.

Please make sure you take these decision on the basic of last 10-15 days data, anything less than this is not good enough time period to take such decision.

Hope this helps,

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please do check avg. Pos. As well.. If the avg pos is not good.. You might need to raise bids.. Also add more keywords.. May be u can test long tail keywords.. Thanks Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Luthfe,

Sorry for the short form Smiley Happy

Average position  "Position" where your adcopy appear. As you know that Google adwords program helps you in display ads on google search engine & google search partners. We need to bid enough to get top slot (top three position). Please see the http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f0di383a (this link will last for three days.) for better understanding of Average Position.

You can see avg position for Campaigns, Adgroups, Keywords and Adcopies for search campaigns. If the column is not available in your adwords UI. Go to column drop down (next to filter) >> Select Cutomize column >> Select Metrics Performance >> Add Avg. Pos.

We need to bid competitvely to beat competitors and to display ads on top three slot. It is not mean that you need to bid very high always. You analyze avg. pos. of your keywords and if they are below 3, you can riase bids by 10%, 15% etc.

I would also like you to go through Top Tips from Google Help Center. 

Long Tail Keywords: Long tail keywords are those keywords which contain more then three words in single keyword. I think you really need to enhnace your keyword list. We had post some thoughts on building keywords list in another thread yesterday. I would like you to read this thread too.

Hope above of my thoughts helps you!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Smiley Happy Okay

By "Below three" I meant worst then three i,e. 4 and above. sorry for confusions. Just juggling with lot of things at the same time.

Thread link:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results-optimize-ROI-CTR/How-to-disable-just-the-sin...

Thread on Automatic Bidding vs. Manual Bidding

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results-optimize-ROI-CTR/Manual-Bidding-Vs-Automatic...

I would also recommend you to use Advance search bar above. More you read more you will be able to learn and clear doubts!

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Neha

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Luft-fi,

If you're getting lots of impressions and no clicks then first check the CTR of these keywords. If CTR of keywords are near to or more than 1 then I'"ll suggest you to keep keywords active. If you think keywords are relevant to your business but not getting clicks then you need to check your ad texts, how relevant they are for all those keywords. This will help you to improve the CTR of keywords. You can pause keywords which have poor CTR. And if your keywords are too much generic, not relevant enough and very low CTR then it's better you delete those keywords.

Please make sure you take these decision on the basic of last 10-15 days data, anything less than this is not good enough time period to take such decision.

Hope this helps,

Dinesh
My Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Dinesh,

I wanted to do the same as CRT is 0% but I was reluctant and averse to take such a decision. But now after getting advice from a senior member I will do the same.

Thank you for your help.

Warm regards,

Luth-fi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Please do check avg. Pos. As well.. If the avg pos is not good.. You might need to raise bids.. Also add more keywords.. May be u can test long tail keywords.. Thanks Neha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Ms. Neha Gupta,

Thanks for suggestion.

I am relatively new in term of setting up Adwords. Can you please explain me what is POS Avg. & test long tail keywords?

Warm regards,

Luth-fi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Ms. Neha Gupta,

I got the literal meaning of Avg. pas (Average Position -The average rank of the ad in the auction. Auction rank determines the order of the ads on the page.) but didn’t get the practical implementation for the same

Warm regards,

Luth-fi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Luthfe,

Sorry for the short form Smiley Happy

Average position  "Position" where your adcopy appear. As you know that Google adwords program helps you in display ads on google search engine & google search partners. We need to bid enough to get top slot (top three position). Please see the http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f0di383a (this link will last for three days.) for better understanding of Average Position.

You can see avg position for Campaigns, Adgroups, Keywords and Adcopies for search campaigns. If the column is not available in your adwords UI. Go to column drop down (next to filter) >> Select Cutomize column >> Select Metrics Performance >> Add Avg. Pos.

We need to bid competitvely to beat competitors and to display ads on top three slot. It is not mean that you need to bid very high always. You analyze avg. pos. of your keywords and if they are below 3, you can riase bids by 10%, 15% etc.

I would also like you to go through Top Tips from Google Help Center. 

Long Tail Keywords: Long tail keywords are those keywords which contain more then three words in single keyword. I think you really need to enhnace your keyword list. We had post some thoughts on building keywords list in another thread yesterday. I would like you to read this thread too.

Hope above of my thoughts helps you!

Thanks

Neha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Madam,

Appreciate your in-depth answer, now I have understood what Avg. Pos is!!!!

I just want to clarify, you have mentioned that “if they are below 3, you can riase bids by 10%, 15% etc. but if it is below 3 then isn’t great that we are in 1st or 2nd position. Why should we raise the bid in this scenario and I use auto bidding as I am new to Adwords.

For some unknown reason your link to thread on Long Tail Keywords is not working. Never the less your reply was very informative.

Warm regards,    

Luth-fi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Smiley Happy Okay

By "Below three" I meant worst then three i,e. 4 and above. sorry for confusions. Just juggling with lot of things at the same time.

Thread link:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results-optimize-ROI-CTR/How-to-disable-just-the-sin...

Thread on Automatic Bidding vs. Manual Bidding

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results-optimize-ROI-CTR/Manual-Bidding-Vs-Automatic...

I would also recommend you to use Advance search bar above. More you read more you will be able to learn and clear doubts!

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Neha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Madam,

Appreciate your support and I am very much obliged for the same.

Will go through the links and try to grasp the information.

Warm regards,    

Luth-fi