2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords relevancy with the sitelinks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Does it help anyway by having/not having search query (keywords) in the sitelinks?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Keywords relevancy with the sitelinks

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I have not come across any documentation on this but I would like to share my experience with this.

• Having relevant sitelinks has always helped me in achieving better CTRs for my campaigns 
  • Having said that I have observed that rather than having keywords in sitelinks it helps more if I give more info about the keyword in the sitelinks
  • For example your keyword is "buy shoes online" , in this case i would ideally show in the sitelinks something like Nike shoes, Puma Shoes and not really the keyword itself
  • Also to make sure you have keyword in the sitelinks you need very tightly structured adgroups and sitelinks at adgroup level

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Kundan,

Because Google is always rewarding relevancy and good CTR if you are not using some keywords in sitelinks I think you would be potentially missing out on some additional sitelink impressions.

If a user see's your ad and it has keyword rich sitelinks they'll generally find it more relevant and would be more likely to click on it. This helps increase your CTR (and Google like this). You still need to make sure the sitelink is relevant to the page or it wouldn't be approved anyway.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any other questions.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kundan
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I wonder what happens when 2-3 advertisers all have a very high CTR compared to the rest. Do they all get a 10, or is the 10 reserved for the absolute highest CTR?

My guess is that more than one can get a 10 and that the internal ad rank works with higher precision numbers. I know, from personal experience, that the CPC can decrease by raising the CTR beyond the one registered when the QS 10 was first awarded, while the bid stays constant.

In this case, trying with ads that get an even higher CTR "might" get you the top position even without a higher bid, so I'd suggest you test that as well.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I have not come across any documentation on this but I would like to share my experience with this.

• Having relevant sitelinks has always helped me in achieving better CTRs for my campaigns 
  • Having said that I have observed that rather than having keywords in sitelinks it helps more if I give more info about the keyword in the sitelinks
  • For example your keyword is "buy shoes online" , in this case i would ideally show in the sitelinks something like Nike shoes, Puma Shoes and not really the keyword itself
  • Also to make sure you have keyword in the sitelinks you need very tightly structured adgroups and sitelinks at adgroup level

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Kundan,

Because Google is always rewarding relevancy and good CTR if you are not using some keywords in sitelinks I think you would be potentially missing out on some additional sitelink impressions.

If a user see's your ad and it has keyword rich sitelinks they'll generally find it more relevant and would be more likely to click on it. This helps increase your CTR (and Google like this). You still need to make sure the sitelink is relevant to the page or it wouldn't be approved anyway.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any other questions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks to both of you for answering. However, I have one more doubt that if I put keyword in the sitelinks, will it help anyway in improving the quality score as well? I know it is not documented anywhere though sometime I feel it is one of the factors. 

Taking one of my client's example, we are promoting brand keywords, have also used brand keywords in the text ad copy as many time as possible..my quality score shows 10/10 but my client's dealers who are also selling their products are promoting themselves using the brand name keywords and they always rank higher to me. One difference I can see is that they are using brand name in all the sitelinks. 

May be..it is the account history that matters because our account is relatively new. 

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

CTR is the main influence on QS and the CTR of your competition. That is why "relative CTR" is a metric in adwords.

Here is a new thing you can use with sitelinks

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2013/06/give-your-sitelinks-additional-detail.html

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Adrian. I have already implemented the descriptive sitelink feature in my campaign but unfortunately it will show only if my ads will be placed on the top position.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Kundan
Well sitelinks are only available when your ad slot is top they dont work on RHS at all.
Regards
Nik

Regards, Nik

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Kundan

More weird thing can happen, if you are the only advertiser on the page for a keyword your ad can show on the bottom without the sitelinks ,because it is considered a "Right hand side=RHS" placement

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Why-Google-shoves-ads-to-the-bottom-of-the-search...

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/11/new-ad-placements-on-search.html

You can also use the Enhanced sitelinks structure to occupy more advertising space

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2012/09/enhanced-sitelinks-rolling-out-globally.html

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
"my quality score shows 10/10 but my client's dealers who are also selling their products are promoting themselves using the brand name keywords and they always rank higher to me." QS of 10/10 is about as high as you can get. If your competitors always rank higher, that would be because they have a higher Max CPC bid than you.

I'd be careful not to get into a bidding war.
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kundan
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I wonder what happens when 2-3 advertisers all have a very high CTR compared to the rest. Do they all get a 10, or is the 10 reserved for the absolute highest CTR?

My guess is that more than one can get a 10 and that the internal ad rank works with higher precision numbers. I know, from personal experience, that the CPC can decrease by raising the CTR beyond the one registered when the QS 10 was first awarded, while the bid stays constant.

In this case, trying with ads that get an even higher CTR "might" get you the top position even without a higher bid, so I'd suggest you test that as well.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.