1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords "on" then "off"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few weeks ago I paused my campaign to improve my website.

Two days ago I reactived the campaign.

Yesterday, I eagerly checked the results for my campaign and happily found more clicks, and at least 9 of my 54 keywords generating a "Yes Yes" when I checked to see if they were being displayed and had a good quality score.

This morning I eagerly checked my campaign again, only to see a nosedive graph and NONE of my keywords generating a "Yes Yes" . . . ALL generating a "No No".

What gives? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Keywords "on" then "off"

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

First, let me assure you that Google doesn't 'artifically' change keyword eligibility--whatever few dollars in profit they might make from such a strategy would not be worth losing the billions of advertising dollars they'd lose if they really did things like that.

The message you mention usually comes with some kind of explanation--reading the full text in the diagnostic bubble should give you a clue where to where the problem is.

Also, have you checked the ads tab, to see if there are any problems with the ad text? Have you checked the Settings page--I don't know if you're using manual bidding or one of the automated bidding selections but checking to make sure those are all correct.

After that, I'd suggest going to the Tools & Analysis tab and running the Ad Preview & Diagnosis tool for some of your keywords. That might provide some additional clues around what's wrong.

If you want to come pack and post the results of what you find--or the full text of any problem messages you find, we'll be happy to try to help you to the next step!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hello DrPam

There have been some great ideas here from the Community already, but one thing to bear in mind is that if you re-enable a campaign after having paused it for a while, there can also sometimes be a small dip in performance, due to the fact that the ad auction may have changed since your ads were last competing in the auction.

This usually doesn't take too long to overcome, and looking at elements of your performance like Click Through Rate and your Search Terms Report (to make sure only relevant terms are triggering your ad) will help you optimise your account, if you haven't already looked at them. Your Click Through Rate can have a large effect on your Quality Score, so trying to keep this up as much possible will help you out here a bit. 

Hope this helps!

A.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello DrPam,

Can you plz tell us the exact message when you hover your mouse on keywords status so that we can explain in better way. Also check your keywords on ad preview tool where you will get exact reason of why your ads are not showing.

Thanks
Anchal

Keywords "on" then "off"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Anchal-

Thanks for your fast reply.

Yesterday, hovering over my nine "good" keywords generated Green/Yes in the "Eligible" box for both: 1)  is the keyword triggering ads and, 2) is the quality score above average.

However, today, the same keywords are generating a "Red/No" in the "Eligible" box for both: 1)  is the keyword triggering ads and, 2) is the quality score above average.

This same situation occurred when I first developed my Adwords campaign last month, so when I re-enabled the campaign a few days ago I "upped" my cost/day to $10 thinking that would solve the problem.

Unfortunately, increasing my limit seems to have worked for only one day, because now (just as had happened last month) the "triggering" and quality scores dropped from green to red.

This experience gives me the uncomfortable feeling Google is artificially making my keywords go from green to red to trick or force me into "upping" my daily $ limits . . . and I hate having that thought, because I really like Google!

Bottom line: if I can't figure out a solution, I'll have to permanently pause my campaign and find another way to improve my SEO.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

First, let me assure you that Google doesn't 'artifically' change keyword eligibility--whatever few dollars in profit they might make from such a strategy would not be worth losing the billions of advertising dollars they'd lose if they really did things like that.

The message you mention usually comes with some kind of explanation--reading the full text in the diagnostic bubble should give you a clue where to where the problem is.

Also, have you checked the ads tab, to see if there are any problems with the ad text? Have you checked the Settings page--I don't know if you're using manual bidding or one of the automated bidding selections but checking to make sure those are all correct.

After that, I'd suggest going to the Tools & Analysis tab and running the Ad Preview & Diagnosis tool for some of your keywords. That might provide some additional clues around what's wrong.

If you want to come pack and post the results of what you find--or the full text of any problem messages you find, we'll be happy to try to help you to the next step!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, let me assure you I don't truly think Google would "turn the greens to red" -- if it were some other company, I actually would suspect such shennanigans.

Have to leave office right now, but on return will try your suggestions and let everyone know what I discover -- will take a couple of days to assess effectiveness. Keep your digits crossed!

Cheers.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello DrPam,

Can you plz tell me what is your ads status. Have your ads been disapproved or placed under review?

Kindly let us know.

Thanks
Anchal

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey,

Just to add to what Theresa said, can you also check to see if your ads have been scheduled to run only at particular times in the day? That could be one of the reasons why you're keywords aren't triggering ads at the moment.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hello DrPam

There have been some great ideas here from the Community already, but one thing to bear in mind is that if you re-enable a campaign after having paused it for a while, there can also sometimes be a small dip in performance, due to the fact that the ad auction may have changed since your ads were last competing in the auction.

This usually doesn't take too long to overcome, and looking at elements of your performance like Click Through Rate and your Search Terms Report (to make sure only relevant terms are triggering your ad) will help you optimise your account, if you haven't already looked at them. Your Click Through Rate can have a large effect on your Quality Score, so trying to keep this up as much possible will help you out here a bit. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First, thanks to All of you for your great suggestions. I'm busy implementing them.

To help you help me further, here's my "current status" in relationship to those questions.

1) The message you mention usually comes with some kind of explanation--reading the full text in the diagnostic bubble should give you a clue where to where the problem is.

I've always eagerly read the bubbles, using them to determine which keywords to "ditch" and which to keep. (FYI, I've tried about 154 keywords, out of which I'm using 57.) At first I created a spreadsheet and used the bubble information to highlight keywords over several days to track status changes (e.g., keyword working, keyword not working), but found that method unsatisfactory. I have now ranked the bubble information into 8 criteria, which I plan to use to track keyword performance over time. 

For those who are interested, the rankings are:

Ad showing pg 1/Qual score 5 or > (green/green) = 1

Ad showing pg 1/Qual score 5 or > but low vol (green/green) = 2

Ad showing pg 1/Qual score < 5 (green/red) = 3

Ad showing but not page 1/Qual score 5 or > (red/green) = 4

Ad showing but not page 1/Qual score < 5 (red/red) = 5

Ad not showing/Qual score 5 or > (red/green) = 6

Ad not showing/Qual score 5 or > but low volume (red/green) = 7

Ad not showing/Qual score < 5 (red/red) =8

2) Also, have you checked the ads tab, to see if there are any problems with the ad text?

Yes, I checked and all is well with the text.

3) Have you checked the Settings page--I don't know if you're using manual bidding or one of the automated bidding selections but checking to make sure those are all correct.

Yes, checked it to ensure still on automated. I only have one campaign and one set of Adwords associated with that campaign. Anticipating a followup question to that sentence, no, it wouldn't be appropriate to split those words out into separate campaigns -- what I have to sell isn't that complicated.

4) I'd suggest going to the Tools & Analysis tab and running the Ad Preview & Diagnosis tool for some of your keywords. That might provide some additional clues around what's wrong.

Did the above and was unable to identify any problems.

5) Can you plz tell me what is your ads status. Have your ads been disapproved or placed under review?

All ads, both text and the ones I submitted containing images, are approved.

6) . . . bear in mind is that if you re-enable a campaign after having paused it for a while, there can also sometimes be a small dip in performance, due to the fact that the ad auction may have changed since your ads were last competing in the auction.

Good point, and may explain the erratic graph.

Does it also explain why a keyword can go from being a #1 to a #8 over night (see ranking system, above)? I'm really curious to know why such big shifts happen . . . in fact, using my ranking system and looking only at Rank #1, the change from yesterday to today has been: yesterday, 0 keywords ranked #1 and today 6 keywords rank #1.

7) . . . looking at elements of your performance like Click Through Rate and your Search Terms Report (to make sure only relevant terms are triggering your ad) will help you optimise your account, if you haven't already looked at them. Your Click Through Rate can have a large effect on your Quality Score, so trying to keep this up as much possible will help you out here a bit. 

Another good suggestion, as I've not explored those items very thoroughly. That's where I'll head right now!

Thanks again to everyone,

Pam