AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords in adtext

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does the google adwords policy allow to just post succesfull keywords in the adwords adtext? Also would that be beneficial to my ctr or would it drive people away since it wont be catchy? Im pretty new to this...so feel free to inform me.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Hi Paul,   I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are...

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you referring to the feature that automatically inserts the keyword that matched the user's query into your ad text?  What do you mean by "successful keywords"? 

Also would that be beneficial to my ctr or would it drive people away since it wont be catchy?

There's no definitive answer to this one.  It depends on how well it works in your market, how good a job you do of it, and so on.  At worst, you end up with ads like "Buy Dead Babies on eBay", which I guess is catchy (for some definitions of "catchy") but probably not what you want.  But if you have well-targeted, precise keywords I think it can work quite well.

Hopefully some of the Top Contributors and other advertisers on the forums will chime in on this.  Some of them have real experience using this feature rather than my purely theoretical knowledge.

Laura

AdWords engineer

* As Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up.  That's actually a real example.  Apparently there was a punk band named the Dead Babies, and someone was selling one of their albums on eBay, and you can figure out the rest.  (I normally wouldn't point fingers at an advertiser, but since this was a very long time ago and was more amusing than harmful, it shouldn't be a problem in this case.)

Hi laura,   thank you for your response. With succesfull...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi laura,

thank you for your response. With succesfull keywords i mean the ones with high search volume appearing in the google keyword tool external. Would it benefit me if i had a google adword text like this for instance (you can ignore the character count for now). Basically Im not saying much...nor is it catchy. I'm stuffin it with keywords basically...i know thats not allowed for website content...but what are the rules regarding adwords

title:               Buy cheap new cars!

Description 1: Car sale, car parts, top

Description 2: carbrands. Call 082349839

Lots of great resources here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Paul124,

Welcome to the community and welcome to Adwords (you mentioned you were pretty new).  

This whole next part of this post is assuming you mean, instead of writing ad copy, you would just list keywords.  

Technically, I guess you could get away with not 'writing an ad' by just listing keywords but I'm not so sure you'd get the clicks.  I think it would look really unappealing next to a well put together ad though.  It would certainly make for an interesting experiment but I wouldn't recommend it as a marketing strategy.  

I'll give you a comparison below, my guess is most people would click AD #2 over AD #1.

AD #1

Blue shoes red shoes

green shoes black shoes

brown shoes womens shoes

www.alltheshoesyoucouldwant.com

AD #2

Buy shoes online now!

All sizes and colors available

10% discount on all orders.

www.thebettershoestore.com

Seeing as you're seeking information, there is tons out there about Adwords. The Learn with Google site has some great videos and one on this specific topic.

Also, please take a look at this thread its full of very good information from well established Adwords folks.  All the links to the help center and other articles you will need are in there.  I think you'll find a common theme though, It really is important to understand Adwords before you can really get the most out of it.    ;

NOTE:  I just now saw your response to Laura,  You're not quite as drastic as I thought but I would still edit your two middle adtext lines a bit though to be more enticing.  Why your place and not the next one? What makes your product better? These are questions you want to answer for customers in ads.  Make them feel comfortable and entice them in.

Cars, Car Parts, Used Cars....I would say that this is probabay a high competition area you're working in.  You can read this post for inspiration...great story by TC Calin.

Good luck and keep the questions coming...lots of people here to help.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Hi Paul,   In addition to some great thoughts shared abov...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Paul,

In addition to some great thoughts shared above, I would like to say that simply over stuffing your ad text with the keywords won't take you the right way.

The idea is to identify the highest performing keyword from your ad groups and try to adjust that keyword inside your ad text if it makes sense. Now Adwords recommends this in the best practices because of the fact that when somebody enters that search query on Google search, you ad text containing that keyword will be highlighted as bold which could attract more users and assist in higher CTR and later higher conversions.

See this article for more details which I have shared with the community and I hope that should help you in some way.

Pankaj

Hello Paul,   It is always advisable to Add keyword in th...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Paul,

As some great contributors already suggest, it is always advisable to Add keyword in the adcopy that is relavant to you landing page and theme of keywords in particular adgroup. But you need to use keywords smartly in any of your adcopy, it should not look like keyword stuffing and should make sense.

While preparing an adcopy think on a conusmer level. It is always best to use offers, promotions and special discounts in the adcopy. Enticing adcopy with Strong call to action such as Free Quote, Buy Now, etc are very beneficial.

I would like you to go through Longer Headline Ads Feature

If the text ads you are using right now are mostly ranking in top 3 positions but is not utilizing extended ad headline feature which can really boost your CTR. Headline looks more powerful with an EXTENDED HEADLINE. You can implement extend ad headline feature with a simple tweak to your ads in a matter of few minutes.

Thanks,
Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Writing effective AdWords ad copy is a bit like writing i...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Writing effective AdWords ad copy is a bit like writing in haiku.  Keyword stuffing will be a waste of time.  You'll get some good ideas for your AdWords haiku skills here:

http://www.google.com/adwords/smallbusinesscenter/write-great-ads.html

Woo...superb responses here.lot to learn for me

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Woo...superb responses here.lot to learn for me