Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords for an obscure business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

So I work for a small direct marketing firm as an intern and have been charged with the task of overseeing our google adwords and optimizing the keywords and ads in order to drive more visitors to our landing pages and get more conversions. Unfortunately, my attempts have been largely unsuccessful due to the obscurity of out type of business. 

My firm uses AdWords to attract financial agents to our landing pages that offer varying types of free marketing plans and consultations when they give us their information and become leads. One such type of plan that we offer is a women's marketing plan, describing the steps involved in attracting women clients to buy insurance, annuities, or other types of financial products. 

My problem is that the keywords we use describe the type of business we do very accurately, however most of them have low search volumes, and on our top 2 keywords we've only gotten one click out of over 200 impressions. We are showing the ads in all of the United States and Canada, and our ad headlines are very closely related to the most popular keywords that are searched.

Any and all feedback would be very much appreciated, 

Mike the Intern

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords for an obscure business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, one key mistake many advertisers make is that they use Keywords that make sense to themselves, in the business, but which are not necessarily the terms that the ordinary public would use.  A good check of this - if you can access meaningful data - is to look at the search queries for organic visits to the site.  Getting this can be hard now, but you may be able to see some still in Analytics and in Webmaster Tools.

It may also be that your Keywords are too precise. You may be using too demanding Phrase and/or Exact matches and may need to "loosen" them a little.  You'll need to be cautious as you can go too far and end up with a lot of irrelevant impressions and clicks, but it's worth looking at.  The warning of "low search volume" is often a prompt for the problem of too specific a Keyword.

A CTR of just 0.5% is very low for Search and does usually indicate a problem with Ad relevancy or attractiveness, and sometimes simply position.  Your Ads may contain the Keywords but they may not contain a strong call-to-action, or may be appearing very low in results.

I hope some of this helps.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

A method I have found useful is to discuss with the client a list of relevant keywords / expressions for the business.  In the next step to use the keyword planner to find suggested keywords.
With this extended (second)  list to  to run another iteration  with the client and finalize a list of keywords relevant to the campaign. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

This may be the problem, but we have done our best to put ourselves in the shoes of the searchers while also making sure that they will find what they were looking for on our site.
I want to look at the organic vs. paid report, but I can't figure out how to link my AdWords and Webmaster tools account, would you be able to help me with that?

I don't think that our keywords being too specific is the problem, as they are all broad, and getting any less specific would describe a business thats totally different from ours.
Some of our keywords are:
insurance for women
insurance women
marketing financial services to women
annuities women
financial marketing women

These next keywords all received a "low search volume" warning:
annuity women
selling insurance to women
marketing insurance women
women only seminar invitations
womens only seminar invitations
marketing annuities for women

I will work with the ads to see if i can possibly make them more relevant or attractive, but I've done a lot of research on this subject and they all contain a description of our service in the first line and a strong deliberate call-to-action in the second line.

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've found that using one of Google's keyword finder tools gives me back a lot of highly general or inaccurate suggestions that don't really help me.

Thanks for the reply though.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, linking WMT and AdWords should be relatively easy, the key trick is that the Admin of the AdWords Account has to be the owner of the WMT Account, which in practical terms usually means it can often only be done by the client themselves.  See here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3097241?hl=en-GB  (the linking info is about half way down the page).

Although your keywords are broad, some do have quite a few words and I'm not that surprised that something like women only seminar invitations is showing a low volume as you're asking for 4 words in a query.   Note also that it's not necessary to include plurals as all match types automatically match against plural variations unless specifically turned off in Campaign settings.

Have you tried using the Display network?  It may be a different approach that could work.  With the GDN you could specifically target your Ads to women only (using Demographic targeting - which removes the need for a "women" Keyword - if you used Keywords).  With this sort of lead generation, Display may also offer benefits in terms of exposure over cost.  You would need some very good image Ads, but it's worth a try, especially if you've already got some evidence that Search isn't working well.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

I've spoken to my boss, and unfortunately a paid v. organic search won't be of much use to us since we use very simple landing pages that don't even show up when searched organically.

I will try to add some more keywords containing 3 or less words, and the plural thing is a helpful tip.

As for using the display network, we've used it for different types of campaigns using good image ads with little success, getting about 10 leads over a month or two costing my company over $200/lead. My boss is pretty against them, but I think they may work better for this type of campaign than the other, so I'll look into it. What we are offering is a plan to market financial products to women, which can be used by both male and female agents, so that's not what we want.

Thanks for the advice, I'll work on the things you mentioned.

Mike the Intern

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, Display can be a tricky beast - it's very easy to get poor results (even easier than it is with Search Smiley Happy ).  I think you've got a good starting position here because you can wipe out a lot of the audience immediately by targeting women (note there's also the "Unknown" choice so you'll need to decide whether to risk this target or just use cases where Google is sure).

In this case I'd probably start with managed placements right from the beginning, not risking automatic.  I'd do some footwork to find just a handful of likely sites that suited the products and trial them.  I'd probably go with CPM rather than CPC as well, because it sounds like you could do with some general brand awareness as well as actual leads.

Though I hate to say it, leads and conversions are as much about the website - perhaps more - than they are about the Ads so it's worth bearing that in mind as well.

J