AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords & Quality Score for Android apps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I would appreciate if anyone had advice for optimizing a campaign for my Android app, which is a keyboard app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comet.TypeSmart

The keyword "android keyboard" (broad match) only has a 4/10 on quality score with a below average expected click through rate and below average ad relevance. Only the landing page experience is average, because I'm linking to Google own app store.

I don't see how I can make much keywords any more relevant. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Barry

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords & Quality Score for Android apps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello BarryF;

If you have just started to advertise, and haven't reached 1000 impression the QS is actually other advertisers QS, for the same KW (based on exact match). (You are given a "temporary QS "until your campaign starting to gain impressions)

If you cross the 1000 impressions, that is mainly a matter of CTR.

As for the text ; when I read it, I sense it is aimed to "the eyes of the robot", with repetitive sentences. Write the intro / description to a human ,,, All the rest will fall.. Look at the description of this keyboard app (I just bought for my Nexus on Black Friday sale ). The word "keyboard" shows only once, and yet the text is attractive....

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Barry,

I am assuming that you have created click-to download ads for Android users who can directly download this application on their mobile phones.

I would go by the same hypothesis and theory of Quality Score which we normally look through for regular text ads and keywords headed towards destination URL.

What is the CTR of the keyword you are talking about here? I would assume that it is low and that could be vital factor for a low quality score as well.

What kind of search queries users are entering using this keyword and whether those queries are relevant to the mobile app. which you are promoting?

Few things which you could try would be:

Focus more on phrase and exact match type keywords to improve your CTR becuse if you are able to maintain an excellent CTR for long term, you might see hike in Quality Score.

Add negative keywords and try to bring as much relevant traffic as you can.

I would also suggest you to create specific mobile campaign targeting Android users for more specific reach.

Read this article for more insights.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Download TypeSmart instead. It's better than SwiftKey and for a limited time it's free. (Sorry for the shameless plug! Smiley Happy

Thanks for your reply. Do I need 1,000 impressions per day, or in total before I see my Quality Score?

My copy is aimed at users, not the Googlebot. The repetitive sentence is actually because Play Store concatenates my short description and long description, but I see what you mean and I'll change it.

Do you really think Google could be penalizing me for keyword spam? SwiftKey uses the word "keyboard" five times in their description, not once. TypeSmart uses "keyboard" eight times. Is that really such a big difference?

Thanks,

Barry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply. My CTR is normally around the 1% mark (it was 1.32% today).

However my keywords with the highest CTR today ("keyboard app" at over 8%) has a QS of 3/10, but "google keyboards" with a CTR of 0% has a QS of 7/10. I don't get it.

Considering my app is a keyboard for Android, I can't think of keywords any more relevant than the ones I'm using. For example "android keyboard" has a QS of only 3/10 and a below average ad relevance. I understand the fundamentals of keyword relevance but I can't think of any way to be more relevant.

Thanks again,

Barry

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

BarryF;

You need to reach 1000 impressions in total. I do think that your ad-copy with repetitive "keyboard", contributes to the low QS in terms of text relevancy. However, keep in mind that QS is mostly about CTR...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You only need 1000 impressions in total not everday.

You need to also work on your landing pages and optimize that. All of our keywords we bid on are quality score 10 / 10 and we bid on thousands of keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

I've updated my copy to remove the repetitive sentence, and removed all but 3 instances of the word "keyboard" (as compared to SwiftKey's 4 instances). Now I will focus on CTR...

Thank you!

Barry

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi "leatherlidinser"

Thanks for your reply. What do you do to get your high quality score?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again Barry,

In my opinion, please read this excellent post by Googler Tanmay, who sheds deeper light on Quality Score and how to improve it.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj