Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Punctuation Issues

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have a question about the keywords punctuation. I read an article about this topic (http://www.rocketclicks.com/industry-news/how-symbols-and-punctuations-affects-adwords-keywords/)

it said adword functionally ignore some punctuation, like 

Wisconsin Ave. is equivalent to  Wisconsin Ave 

So if they both are existed in the same ad group, are they duplicate keywords? Do I need to delete one of them? 

But when I used adword editor, it don't think they are duplicate keywords.

Then I am confused....

Could you tell me how to solve these two keywords?

Thank you

Best regards,

Shirley

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords Punctuation Issues

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shirley,

Now that close match variants are available within AdWords, there is no need for you to have both versions of the keywords, in the same way that you no longer need plural variations of your keywords, so essentially yes they would count as duplicate keywords.

My advice would be to remove one of them, that way you will also have clearer data as the traffic will just be going through just one keyword and as they are essentially the same keyword, this will help you manage your keywords more effectively.

Hope that helps.

Kate

Re: Keywords Punctuation Issues

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Shirley,

Welcome again Smiley Happy

You do not necessarily need to put both such versions of keywords. Technically these are not duplicates for the system, buy practically they are. I will tell you why?

mobile phonemobile phones, mobile phone. mobile phnoe are technically different keywords but they can get covered under variations such as  misspellings, synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations.

Hence, you do not necessarily need to put both of those keywords. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha