Guide Me
star_border

Keywords: “Key” to account performance

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi Everyone!

I am an AdWords employee, and have been with the AdWords Team for a while now. Of late, I’ve seen queries about low revenue and hence I’d like to discuss it with you all.

To start off with, I would like to stress upon the fact that a well themed keyword list goes a long way in improving and sustaining account performance. It will also help you to drive targeted traffic to your site.

I’d like to share a small example here. Imagine, I have a business that delivers flowers when customers book online. Now, if I have a keyword that says just “flowers” it will not work in my favor here, as there may be people searching for flower images, flower greeting cards, or are looking to buy flowers. A better option here would be to use keywords such as “flower delivery” , “over-seas flower delivery”, etc.

The Keyword tool within your AdWords account will help you achieve that quite easily. The cool part is, based on your website, it will automatically generate related keywords. So all you have to do is go through the auto-generated list, pick keywords that match your business theme and add them to your existing list. Click here for more information about this very useful tool.

Here is another tip that I would like to share. If your business is mostly local, look out for the “local monthly searches” column in the auto-generated list. This will give you an estimate of how many local searches are made in a month and you can opt for keywords that have higher monthly searches to make a greater impact on potential customers. You can read more about how to build the best keyword list here.

Time for some action on your end now!

Go into your account and let me know if you were able to check how your account is structured, the keywords in your ad groups and yes, do not forget to check the search terms report as well.

I will be happy to answer any queries you may have.  

Regards,

Anuradha

Important: Please note that this is an open forum and hence I will not be able to answer account specific questions. If you require personalized help with your account, you can always reach us via our various support channels listed here.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: “Key”words- “Key” to account performance!!!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Googler,

keyWORDS + reSEARCH ( Words & Search are always there ). If I will be asked, what is the most important element in AdWords? I can confidently say KEYWORDS. This is your key to build connection, your foundation to be found by your next client.

Keyword Research is the most crucial part. It is the stage that you level yourself in the competition.

There can be so many of them offering same products and services, targeting the same "high competitive ones".

And on the other hand, there can be so few of them targeting the "low competion". That's why,"long tail keywords has evolved" and provides you a niche to be explored.

But as they say, WORDS are not enough. That's why, TARGETING, PLACEMENT, STRATEGIES come in the rescue to help you reach your advertising goal.

"Life is like Google

You just have to know what you are searching for!

More Power,

Loraine

More Power,
Loraine

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Arnuradha,

Keyword research using Adwords keyword tool would be great to start with, but if you want to take your campaigns to the next level start collecting your own search queries.

• Put yourself in your customers shoe and think what they are most like to search while looking for your/similar product. 
  • Put those keywords in a "Phrase Match" or Modified broad and run your campaigns on full swing.
  • Wait till enough clicks/impressions data and then run search query reports in regular intervals.
  • Now use those search queries and add them as keywords and repeat the process again. You can also ceate them based adgroups out of these queries

I am sure these keywords will be more accurate than any Keyword tool (as these are the actual search queries).

Paras J

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Googler,

keyWORDS + reSEARCH ( Words & Search are always there ). If I will be asked, what is the most important element in AdWords? I can confidently say KEYWORDS. This is your key to build connection, your foundation to be found by your next client.

Keyword Research is the most crucial part. It is the stage that you level yourself in the competition.

There can be so many of them offering same products and services, targeting the same "high competitive ones".

And on the other hand, there can be so few of them targeting the "low competion". That's why,"long tail keywords has evolved" and provides you a niche to be explored.

But as they say, WORDS are not enough. That's why, TARGETING, PLACEMENT, STRATEGIES come in the rescue to help you reach your advertising goal.

"Life is like Google

You just have to know what you are searching for!

More Power,

Loraine

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Arnuradha,

Keyword research using Adwords keyword tool would be great to start with, but if you want to take your campaigns to the next level start collecting your own search queries.

• Put yourself in your customers shoe and think what they are most like to search while looking for your/similar product. 
  • Put those keywords in a "Phrase Match" or Modified broad and run your campaigns on full swing.
  • Wait till enough clicks/impressions data and then run search query reports in regular intervals.
  • Now use those search queries and add them as keywords and repeat the process again. You can also ceate them based adgroups out of these queries

I am sure these keywords will be more accurate than any Keyword tool (as these are the actual search queries).

Paras J

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hey Anuradha.. great post! Smiley Happy

In addition to what you have suggested for Keyword research, I kind of agree with Paras.. Think on your own. Put yourself in the customer's shoes...

Also.. although I agree that the Keyword tool is the best thing ever... using it properly makes all the difference..

As Anuradha pointed out, we can put in the URL of our website and the tool automatically pulls out keywords for you based on the website.. I am often find myslef faced with a single landing page or a pretty horrible website with very little content..

I solve this problem using my competitors. I first do a reseacrh to see who are my competitors that show up for my top 10 primary keywords. then I check out their website/LP and put in this URL in the keyword tool..

So basically I am using ther content to generate keywords for me Smiley Happy

using a good mix of generic and long-tail/product specific keywords also helps. With the correct matchtypes, negative keywords and ad copies, generic keywords can work wonders! 

Yes.. It is a lot of hard work but it always pays off!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!