Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword tool says there over 100,000 searches/month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Like it says,

I have a fairly general keyword that is supposed to generate around 100,000 searches/month. However; I am coming nowhere near to the # of impressions I should be recieving daily... I get around 1000 at most.

What would the reasons for this be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword tool says there over 100,000 searches/month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 7.39.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2013-03-21 at 7.37.05 AM.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

First of all please note that the tools are meant to give you the approximations and might not match exactly what you are looking at during your analysis. I believe that you should not blindly follow the tools but rather look at the stats which you are accruing and based on your particular account stability, take the required actions.

You could look at the search terms report and identify what users are actually searching and then based on that, you might consider adding some other keyword variations and fine tune your campaign.

You might also consider looking at the match types you are using and may be tweak them and introduce some other ones for best results.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Pankaj!

I do understand what you are saying. I guess I was just slightly confused with the variation the keyword tool was giving me.  I have noted it to be fairly consistent for my other campaigns.   To get something like 110,000 searches on the keyword tool, than noticing maximum 1000 per day seemed to be too big a variation to ignore.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What Pankaj said.

Tools are there to help but you need to use them and interpret them properly. If you specify only broad match in the tool and don't use broad match in your campaign or vice versa, the numbers will not match. Note that these tools assume a certain QS and certain position. I believe the keyword tool uses an average QS of 5 as well as the top positions to give a CPC estimate. But if you don't bid high enough or have a different QS, you can throw out all those numbers. Also, if it says 100,000 searches per month and you get a 1% CTR at $5, you better have a budget of at least $5,000. Anything less and you won't target 100% of those searches, assuming your bid and QS places you on the first page. I suspect your budget is nowhere near enough to show your ads for all those searches.