AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword seems not relevant, but CTR is high

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

What if a keyword seems not relevant, but CTR is high?

Should I add such a keyword to negatives? Should I reversely add it to [...] match (because CTR for it is high)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Keyword seems not relevant, but CTR is high

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Victor, how are things?

Short answer to your question: If you have high CTR on an unusual keyword, don't add as negative. You need to investigate further more. Does this KW brings sales? Conversions? positive ROI? You might have discovered a behavior unexplored, so dig deep and investigate.

On the other hand, What is relevancy!? I know that if I sell "Used Cars" it make sense for me to buy keywords related to this theme, but on the internet and search campaigns, we are talking about MILLIONS of different cultures, learning, behaviors and so much more that comes from our early days as babies. People have different perspective about things, and this reflects on our searches. 

This KW might not be relevant for YOUR understanding and point of view, but it might make sense for the people looking for it. If the kw is giving you good CTR, investigate and make some tests, experiment and try to see from a different perception. Question yourself:

- Is there anything on the offline world that might induce people to look for this keyword related to this business?

- Does that keyword bring me results after the ad click?

- Can I use that keyword to explore different paths that I didn't think of before?

Things like that is for me, the things that keep us track to discover new ways to work Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Victor, how are things?

Short answer to your question: If you have high CTR on an unusual keyword, don't add as negative. You need to investigate further more. Does this KW brings sales? Conversions? positive ROI? You might have discovered a behavior unexplored, so dig deep and investigate.

On the other hand, What is relevancy!? I know that if I sell "Used Cars" it make sense for me to buy keywords related to this theme, but on the internet and search campaigns, we are talking about MILLIONS of different cultures, learning, behaviors and so much more that comes from our early days as babies. People have different perspective about things, and this reflects on our searches. 

This KW might not be relevant for YOUR understanding and point of view, but it might make sense for the people looking for it. If the kw is giving you good CTR, investigate and make some tests, experiment and try to see from a different perception. Question yourself:

- Is there anything on the offline world that might induce people to look for this keyword related to this business?

- Does that keyword bring me results after the ad click?

- Can I use that keyword to explore different paths that I didn't think of before?

Things like that is for me, the things that keep us track to discover new ways to work Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

_

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Unfortunately my conversion rate is very low and thus I don't have enough data to know what are the conversion rates of particular keywords.

So I cannot follow your advice.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Victor, it's important to remember that conversions happens on your website side. Campaigns are only responsible to lead the user there. My view on this is that you need try to connect the dots here. Don't simply drop the keyword, instead, try to understand where/what you can do to improve conversions and see if this can become relevant to you. Sometimes results don't always come the way we expect, we need to adjust and test in order for them to show.

If you have high CTR on an usual keyword, it means that your ad is showing something relevant to the user, something they want to see/know/buy/whatever, but it's important to remember that this happens on Googles side. Conversions happens on your website, so the fact that this keyword is not converting, could be something on the website.

By "something" I mean: appropriate landing page content, message, UX and so many more. The website is a whole different universe apart from Adwords.

If you have high CTR and low conversions, I see two possible things:

1. Your landing page does not deliver the content seen in your Ad text and some adjustment is necessary
2. That keyword really isn't relevant and might be confusing users

It's up to you to apply some effort and try to understand WHY it has high CTR and low conversion, or simply remove the keyword in case you don't to spend time/money trying to figure this out. I'm always up for test and understand Smiley Very Happy
_