Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword research for local intent

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

We're trying to pick up local search intent to drive traffic to our retail stores in specific locations. We've included "near me" queries as well as "where to buy X in insert location" but we're not having much success with receiving impressions and clicks. I think we need to expand our keyword group, but not quite sure how to research these queries. Any suggestions to perform local intent keyword research? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

In my experience, reliable keyword research is mostly not available, or not reliable for many local markets. 

However, you can use modified broad match keywords within your campaign, in conjunction with monitoring of search terms, to find the local keywords  (i'll use "certified financial planner" as an example):

Let's say you are using:

[certified financial planner]

"certified financial planner"

Consider running this modified broad match version for a while:

certified +financial +planner

The exact match will pick off the precise, exact search terms, allowing for tiny variations e.g. plural forms. 

If you watch your search term report the phrase match version will find new keywords embedded within longer keywords, some of which you'll want to add as new phrase and exact match. 

The "modified broad match" will snare (match against) a broader range of entered search terms, those which (must) contain both "financial" and "planner". You will discover which city/town names are being used with the keyword, and can add them as phrase/exact match keywords. There will also be more mismatches so you may want to discontinue it after an exploratory period, say 4 to 8 weeks. 

Keep in mind that your campaign is locally targeted, and not everyone is going to add the name of a town or city.  So you will want to run keywords without that as well.  Over time you will develop a feel for what is used, in what mix. 

Hope that helps, and best of luck.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Try simply

+X +location

For most products a location in the search query signifies purchase intent

So if someone was wanting to buy a dishwasher in Edinburgh, no matter how they phrased it your ad would show. It would need some negatives though, like fix & repair.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@CBWY5There are many Trusted tools to use , let me share Google tools for Keyword Research apart from the keyword planner .

1.Google Trends 

2. Google Market Insight Finder

3. The Customer Journey to Online Purchase ; I shared you this one because you mention something related to Store . So it’s important to focus on the key moments that can help inspire people to buy your product or service.

4. Consumer Barometer ; What role do online sources play in a person's journey from consideration to actual purchase? What devices do people use in their everyday lives, and how do they use them? Why, where, and when do they watch online video? Google's global interactive tool, the Consumer Barometer, has been updated with 2015 data and now covers more than 45 countries and ten product categories.

Use the above to know what is trending , them apply to the keyword Planner to produce more Prominent Keywords , then add them to your campaign you will get a better Result.

Data/Metrics are very important in Search Marketing . Hope this helps . 

Let me knw if it heps Smiley Wink Cheers! 

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I agree with @RobSkelton & @Steve B. The best market research you can conduct, is the research you do yourself. AdWords is not a "set it and forget it" proposition. Success is all about long term investment in analysis, testing, and optimization. The most important data point for search advertising is the search terms report. This is the only way you can determine what your audience is actually searching for. All the possible suggestions or estimates from tools are meaningless, if your potential customers never actually search for those terms.

You have to start somewhere, but at this point, your initial attempts are too restrictive to even accrue any impressions. You have to get impressions before you can get sales from the advertising. Smiley Happy Go broad enough to accrue some actual data, then use that data to optimize your efforts. 

Tom