2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword misspellings - own ad group?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Well I see lots of conflicting advice on this! 

Assuming a campaign is using a combination of phrase and exact match, do you think misspellings should be kept in their correctly-spelled keyword's ad group, simmering away with a pretty decent CTR but lower-than-average QS? Or should they be moved to their own dedicated misspellings ad group, where they can no longer benefit the original ad group's overall CTR nor hinder its QS?

Is there a difference to be gained by choosing one over the other, or do the two cancel out?

Be interested to hear what you think.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword misspellings - own ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

in most cases I use +keyword sollution which - tested - catches misspelled keywords...

If you concern is about quality score - my advise would be to separate misspellings for beter control to separate campain, my opinion is that's the only way to het high positions and keep your daily budget under control.

Why separating them and set limited budget - my historical tests said that people who do misspellings and (mainly them) do orographic errors will never get high conversion rate... but it was only 2week of testing... after that I decided not to take care of such keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author swebber
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi swebber, my first thoughts would be to examine the performance and value of these misspelled terms.  Unless you have a virtually unlimited budget, I'd be surprised if your daily budget couldn't be better spent pursuing the correctly spelled terms.

You'll need to do some analysis on conversions and/or time on site, pages, etc. to see whether these terms are worth chasing (more than time spent on other optimisation tasks).

Of course, if your product/service is frequently misspelled, or in a particular manner, then that's another matter, but if you're just looking at the occasional or common mistakes, Google can usually pick these up without any specific effort on your part and you can just use the correct spellings as keywords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Cobnut wrote:

Hi swebber, my first thoughts would be to examine the performance and value of these misspelled terms.  Unless you have a virtually unlimited budget, I'd be surprised if your daily budget couldn't be better spent pursuing the correctly spelled terms.

Good point Jon. Looking at it from that angle, there are probably better ways to dedicate my budget and resources. A 5% CTR for both misspellings is, right now, good for me - but they each only bring in about 3 clicks per month, and have a QS of 3 and 4.