1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword match best practices

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it a good practice to have separate ad-groups for exact and broad match modifier keywords? or we should have all types of keyword matches in a single ad-group? 

Thanks,

Naveen 

Re: Organizing Keywords into Ad Groups by Match Type

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Naveen,

Welcome to Adwords Community.

It’s Depend up on your campaign type.

First theme your ad groups with a common line, with one match type if you want more traffic or you are new to category try with Broad match than after add phrase match in same ad group or different add group.

View your keyword reports segment by keyword match types; this will guide you which match type is getting more clicks or more CTR.

Most of the times I will prefer most conversions generated match type for my keywords or I will prefer match types according to my goals like clicks or CTR.

I will prefer to add multiple match types in one ad group with strict theme.

We can’t assure which one is the best practice, but you can theme them according to your goals it will be suitable for every one regardless of match type.

Thanks,
Aravindhu.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Aravindhu,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have recently started looking at the campaigns but they were managed by someone else before and separate ad-groups have been created for broad match type and exact match keywords. But the keyword report shows that most of the keyword searches are broad match. So should I create another ad-group with broad keywords or add them in the existing ad-groups itself? what should be the best way to handle this.

Thanks.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

If your both ad groups having same keywords in different match types, add keywords to exact match from broad match ad group search term report, first and after analyzing your result divide your ad groups by theme not by match type.

Use best match type keywords in your ad groups. theme based ad groups will give you more relevancy for your keywords a well as you will get a good quality score.

Example: if you are handling with bags campaign group your keywords by product type not by Match type like Leather bags, canvas bags, denim bags... Ect.

I hope this will clarify your doubt.

Thanks,
Aravindhu.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup. It does. Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆