Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword insertion not ranking my ad in the top 3 results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I've recently revamped my adwrods account and decided to start using KeyWord insertion to improve my ad's performance, even though we've always achieved very goods CTR. Since I've chagned the campaign to use KWI i've seen a dramtic drop in my average position and CTR. Ad's i've previously paid £0.25 for to appear 1st or 2nd are now costing £0.75 to appear 4th.

I've only changed over half my account and i'm monitioring the sitation. The performance of the keywords i haven't changed over to KWI are performing much much better. 

Does anyone else know of this issue? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword insertion not ranking my ad in the top 3 results

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi James,

Welcome to the community!

Here i would like to ask how many day back you changed/added the new Adcopies with DKI...?

Well i personally feel using Dynamic Keword insertion (DKI) should not affect your Adpostion or CPC unless there is a significant drop in Keywords "Quality Score" that you are using in your account.

Have you noticed any drop in Keywords Quality Score.?

If your quality score is affected due to the change that you made you will possibly see change in CPC and Adrank.

Just a thought!

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi James and welcome to the forum.  I think Azeem has pinned the problem down pretty well.  An increase in CPC and/or a drop in Ad Rank when you've made a change to your Ad(s) is likely to be a Quality Score issue.  Ads are never really "edited", although it may seem as though they are, what actually happens is that the old Ad is marked as Deleted and a new Ad is created automatically.  This means you lose any historical performance data associated with that Ad and this data can be quite important in your Quality Score.  How long ago did you make these changes?

As Azeem has asked, what is the Quality Score of your Keywords now?  Are you able to compare Keywords only grouped with the old Ads as opposed to those grouped with the new?

The other obvious answer is, of course, that your Ads are not as attractive using DKI as when they were "manually" written.  This is quite possible depending upon the Keywords you're using.  How well DKI works for a particular Campaign depends largely upon how well the Keywords work when inserted into an Ad - not all will look as good as a well written manual line.

Have you thought about what your Ads will actually look like when the DKI kicks in?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Azeem, I've done let's of testing and i am 10000% convinced that this is a bug with KWI. I have this morning also had clarification from Google that there is a problem with KWI not working for misspelling's and plurals. Which is ridiculous really...I can't believe such a big company as Google sould advise customers who rely on Adwords to change the campaigns and in doing so reduce traffic levels.

Also, my testing has found that if you create a BRAND NEW add without using KWI but using the SAME KEYWORDS as the Ad you've created using KWI it ranks number 1 in Google Search results. No matter how much you bid on the KWI advert the maximum your advert will ever achieve is position 4, or 1st on the right. Again, another ridiculous update buu Google...

Along with these stupid results Google as producing within the organic search. i.e giving a stupid amount of authority to major nationals like tesco, asda, homebase and amazon etc.Might as well close the high street, some private retailers from trading and we all go work for a mulitinational!!. I saw a page 4 search result give the entire 10 listings to Amazon yesterday. How is that fair to retailers & offer consumer choice? Guess spending £50M + a year with Google on Adwords is giving these multi nationals some sort of say in the organic search results now... especially Amazon!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, just posted another comment whilst you wrote that. You can check my search results yourself if you like. I've got 2 ads on test, 1 created 4 days ago using KWI, it's got a quality score 10 and i'm offering 10 times the amount the keyword should be charged at. Then, on another account i've created a brand new ad, today, using a far far cheaper CPC and the SAME keywords, and same Headline Title but not with KWI. This is ranking NUMBER 1.

Just called Google who continue to tell me it's a quality score issue combined with me being outbid combined with other adverts being better...

So if that's the case, HOW is my BRAND NEW ad with a lower CPC coming up 1st???

CRAZY...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The answer, James, is in my original post.  You have to understand how Quality Score works.  Quality Score for long-running Ads can be quite different from that for new Ads.  Google wants to use data from your own Account to form a good idea of your Quality Score, i.e. your own CTR, however with a new Ad there's no reasonable history or current data to go on so they have to rely upon data from other advertisers to take a reasonable "guess" at what a typical Quality Score for this keyword/Ad might be.  As your own Account gathers data, this Quality Score can be adjusted.

For some advertisers the Quality Score goes up.  For some it stays roughly the same, but for some it goes down.  If your Quality Score goes down then your CPC will go up.  That's not crazy, it's exactly how the system has always worked.

I should also add that you sound like you've been searching a lot for your own Ads.  If you do this you'll not be seeing what other people see when they carry out a search.  Google's search results are not static but adjust to the searches made by the user.  If you're constantly searching for your own Ads it could well be that you own actions have lead to the Ads being shown in "odd" positions for you and you alone.

Neither can you rely upon the position of one Ad seen in one search.  An auction is carried out for each search; what you see in a search just now is almost certainly not the same as what is seen by someone searching 5 minutes later.

What Keywords are you actually using and what CTR rates are you seeing?  Are you advertising on the Search network only?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits