AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword destination URL vs Ad destination URL?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I basically have three short questions concerning this topic:

1) If you leave your keyword destination URL field blank does it automatically copy your Ad Destination URL?

2) Does it improve your Quality score if you add the keyword destination URL manually?

3) Why would it be useful to use a different Keyword Destination URL from your Ad destination URL?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Keyword destination URL vs Ad destination URL?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi there,

Nice question with straightforward answers:

1. Yes, it reverts to the 'default' URL which is the ad URL. However, IF you have a keyword level URL it will override the ad level URL in that group

2. Not neccessarily. Dest URL is linked to QS in that if your landing page is relevant and good generally, it will be better. But if your ad groups are tightly themed etc... then you can achieve this good QS equally though ad level URLs as you could with keyword URLs. If for any reason you have an ad group with lots of keywords that could have different landing pages, you should really split these out to new and tighter groups, but if you don't, then this is an example where keyword URLs would be better.

3. I think my answer to point 2 sort of covers this? Hopefully that helps!

People also use keyword level URLs for tracking purposes whereby they put paramaters in the latter part of the URL string which carry through to the landing page so that they can see which keywords are driving phone calls and orders at a more granular level.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

@BuildingC wrote:

Hi,

1) If you leave your keyword destination URL field blank does it automatically copy your Ad Destination URL?

2) Does it improve your Quality score if you add the keyword destination URL manually?

3) Why would it be useful to use a different Keyword Destination URL from your Ad destination URL?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

1) Yes, if you leave it blank, your ad's destination URL will be used to show to the users.

2) It depends if the keyword level destination URL is more relevant as compared to the one you are using in your ad copy.

3) Adwords works well when you keep on experimenting whether with your ad copy, landing page, keyword matching type or may be keyword level destination URL. So there is no definite answer to this but yes I suggest the advertisers should use keyword level destination URLs in order to understand the online traffic behaviour and whether it proves more successful or not in terms of ROI, Avg. CPC, your Ad Rank etc...

@edit: @Jack, I am slow today Smiley Happy

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi there,

Nice question with straightforward answers:

1. Yes, it reverts to the 'default' URL which is the ad URL. However, IF you have a keyword level URL it will override the ad level URL in that group

2. Not neccessarily. Dest URL is linked to QS in that if your landing page is relevant and good generally, it will be better. But if your ad groups are tightly themed etc... then you can achieve this good QS equally though ad level URLs as you could with keyword URLs. If for any reason you have an ad group with lots of keywords that could have different landing pages, you should really split these out to new and tighter groups, but if you don't, then this is an example where keyword URLs would be better.

3. I think my answer to point 2 sort of covers this? Hopefully that helps!

People also use keyword level URLs for tracking purposes whereby they put paramaters in the latter part of the URL string which carry through to the landing page so that they can see which keywords are driving phone calls and orders at a more granular level.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

@BuildingC wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Steven

1) Yes, if you leave it blank, your ad's destination URL will be used to show to the users.

2) It depends if the keyword level destination URL is more relevant as compared to the one you are using in your ad copy.

3) Adwords works well when you keep on experimenting whether with your ad copy, landing page, keyword matching type or may be keyword level destination URL. So there is no definite answer to this but yes I suggest the advertisers should use keyword level destination URLs in order to understand the online traffic behaviour and whether it proves more successful or not in terms of ROI, Avg. CPC, your Ad Rank etc...

@edit: @Jack, I am slow today Smiley Happy

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

1) If you leave your keyword destination URL field blank does it automatically copy your Ad Destination URL?: It doesnt copy your Ad Destination URL but yes it uses AD destination your to send users to that page. 

2) Does it improve your Quality score if you add the keyword destination URL manually? : I dont think destination URL has any direct impact on QS but if you can land users on relevant pages for relevant keywords then you definately can improve the user experience for sure.

3) Why would it be useful to use a different Keyword Destination URL from your Ad destination URL?: Better tracing, Better user experience.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the quick answer Jack!

My adgroups are split up into rather tight ad groups so I guess I'm okay with just having Ad destination URLs.

Was basically just wondering if it would be useful to add the same URL again for my keyword destination URLs.

But if it reverts to this already, I guess there's no use!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

No problem! And you are correct, no point by the sounds of your situation!

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi everyone,

I got another question for Keyword Destination URLs:

1. The Adcopy will remain the same as per the copy we write in the adGroup, correct?
2. When people search the exact keyword -which we give a KW destination URL-, and clicks on the ads, they will go into the specific destination URL that I set with a KW destination URL, corrects?
3. or, will the destionation URLs affect the whole AdCopies Landing Page?

Look forward for your answers

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi again!

1. Correct - destination URLs of any sort do not affect the ad group level ad copy

2. Correct - a Keyword level URL will override the ad level URL when triggered

3. No they won't

The answers are short, but I hope they help!

Cheers
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It does help! thanks a lot.

By the way, what if the keyword that i bid was "Best Pizza in NY" but if people are actually typing "Best Pizza in New York" will my KW Destination URLs triggered?

Or it would require the Exact Keyword that we bid?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni
You're welcome. If "Best Pizza in NY" was a phrase match and it triggered your ad when someone actually searched for "Best Pizza in New York", then it would still take them to the KW destination URL that triggered it, even if it doesn't match exactly.

'Trigger' is the key word to understanding this bit! Hope that helps, too!

Are you using a lot of KW level URLs?
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+