Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword clean up - zero impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all

Managed by an agency, I have the Google Adwords account running for more than three months for now. Noticed 95% of keywords suggested by the agency receive zero impression.

While I am thinking to have a complete clean up of those with no impressions, and add relevant keywords by utilizing the search term report;

the agency suggested us to keep the keywords as they are - as the keywords receiving no impression would not have a negative impact on our campaign overall, yet removing them may result in opportunity loss.

I'm uncertain which is the correct understanding. Any advice from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SHAHR Marketing H
March 2016

Re: Keyword clean up - zero impressions

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Sharhr, how are things?

Keywords with no impressions indeed will no harm your performance and overall results, and this usually happens for very specific keywords and variations, but in my opinion you need to analyse one aspect: Do you intend at any moment in the future to create a advertising campaign (not specifically related to Adwords) that will turn consumer into a mindset to search for those keywords?

Consumers won't simply wake up and miraculously start looking for things as many people out there think. They need to be engaged by something (advertising, a friend, news, SOMETHING) at any giving time to create the desire for that specific subject.

So for this, I'd say: be practical. If you answered NO to the question, simply remove the keywords because it can be more time consuming on the management part then anything else. IF on the other hand the answer is YES, well, keep the keywords because the consumers might start looking for them Smiley Happy

That's my view on this.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SHAHR Marketing H
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Sharhr, how are things?

Keywords with no impressions indeed will no harm your performance and overall results, and this usually happens for very specific keywords and variations, but in my opinion you need to analyse one aspect: Do you intend at any moment in the future to create a advertising campaign (not specifically related to Adwords) that will turn consumer into a mindset to search for those keywords?

Consumers won't simply wake up and miraculously start looking for things as many people out there think. They need to be engaged by something (advertising, a friend, news, SOMETHING) at any giving time to create the desire for that specific subject.

So for this, I'd say: be practical. If you answered NO to the question, simply remove the keywords because it can be more time consuming on the management part then anything else. IF on the other hand the answer is YES, well, keep the keywords because the consumers might start looking for them Smiley Happy

That's my view on this.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi,

Even if the current keywords are unable to get impressions then how can those get clicks.
Better to reconstruct the campaigns with targeted keywords in loose(phrase or modified broad) keyword match type.
If the keywords are in exact match then keep in mind that they are not long tail as no one will search for those.

Get help from the adwords keyword planner to build the relevant keyword list.
Get help from SQR.
Change the Keyword match type for the keywords with no impressions.
Check whether your bid amount is at least for 1st page.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Leandro, I am with you. Thank you for the insights, I specially like the idea of creating a campaign around the zero impression keywords that I have never thought of!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Archit, due to some constraints, we can only use modified broad match within our accounts... Smiley Sad

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
If you can use only modified broad keywords then better to use different combinations with 2-3 terms instead of making them very long with 4-5 terms.
Add negatives to avoid irrelevant searches.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’