AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Search Volume Minimum?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've read on multiple places online that "exact" should be used when researching keywords using GKT.  I've been doing this but the keywords I look up with "exact" usually have very low search volume usually under 150.

I don't know how accurate GKT is, but is it really worth targeting a kewyord with less than 150 in search volume? 

What is your threshold in "search volume" when analyzing keywords to target? <500? <1000? <5000?  Do you base this "search volume" off of "broad"? "phrase"? "exact"?

I also try to use GKT to find keywords to target in my organic SEO efforts, and seeing keywords, which I think are great for my niche, with a search volume of less than 150 doesn't really make me want to put any SEO efforts into it.

My site is fairly new; and when I look at my Webmaster Tools I see search queries with impressions of less than 100.  So my question is; is my site just to new to get many impressions, or do these keywords not get many impressions at all?

I want to put in the work to increase SEO on these keywords, but if people are not searching for these keywords am I ever going to see these keywords increase to 5,000 impressions over time?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Search Volume Minimum?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

....is it really worth targeting a kewyord with less than 150 in search volume? 

That's not really a meaningful question. Smiley Happy  Traffic matters less to me than results. I don't really care if the potential search volume is 150/month or 15,000/month until I see how the keyword produces. (And, personally, I'd rather manage a keyword with 150 searches a month that produces 15 sales than one with15,000 searches and 15 sales.)

In my opinion, it's worth targeting any keyword that's important to a client and for which some traffic actually exists. So the question you have to ask yourself is--how important is this keyword to me? Is it one that describes my product/services very closely? Although there's not a lot of traffic, is that traffic going to be from people highly interested in purchasing?

I can't really advise you on SEO, that's pretty far outside the scope of this forum. I will say though, that 'intelligent' traffic--that is, traffic that is people who are actually interested in what you're selling--is a lot more important than volume in that field as well. That said, if there aren't 5,000 searches a month for your SEO keywords, then SEOing your site isn't going to produce 5,000 impressions, no, not unless search volume actually increases.)

Without knowing your field, I can't advice you more specifically but I would suggest that you use a mix of the very highly targeted (but low-traffic) keywords and a few with a wider appeal. See what works--what produces the results you're interested in.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*