Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Relevance - Hotels (UK)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am having difficulty showing ads for "Hotels in location" on the Adwords Search Network. Often the keyword is shown as eligible when first set up, I then get a "Rarely shown due to low quality score" message. The advert is specific to hotels (contains the keyword), also the landing page is relevant to hotels in the particular area. Previously I could bid on "Hotel in" however I am now experiencing the same problem with this keyword.

Could anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Relevance - Hotels (UK)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nick,

How old is the account?

How is the rest of the account - QS good?  been on the decline?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kim, the account is approximately a year old, the quality score overall is not bad, however our main problem is keyword relevance on certain terms. I am confused as for example the keyword "Hotels in Chepstow" is quite specific term. I have the ad

"Hotel In Chepstow
Looking For Hotels in Chepstow
Look No Further
www...."

However I am getting ad relevance below average. I don't understand how the ad is not relevant. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Nick
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Are the keywords new?

If so, then they probably have poor history for other advertisers.

My advice would be to let them sit in the account and do you’re very best to get high CTR on the keyword.  You will need to make sure that your ad copy is very relevant (as it appears to be), has a strong call to action, that your ads are positioned well on results pages and that your keywords are doing a good job by now allowing you to appear for irrelevant search queries.  That can be worked by using restrictive match types, negative, keywords and closely watching your search query reports.

Google says it takes several thousand impressions at a good CTR, hard to say exactly what is 'good' but shoot for 2%+ and the higher the better.  

See if you can get some of the new auction insights on the keyword to see if your competition is doing better than you and adjust accordingly.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'