Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Related Query

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Ours is a conversions driven website. We have used Target CPA as our Bidding strategy. Can anyone suggest which is the best bidding strategy since we are not getting the desired result from this. Though, we have given a target cpa bid for each adgroup , keywords of that adgroup have a good QS , but they are not displayed because of low ad rank.

I have used only broad match modifiers as our keywords. Can you suggest some good optimization techniques so that the campaign performnce improves.

Thanks,

RB

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Related Query

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sheema,

Modified broad match is a strong tool to use, but it should not be the only match type. I would suggest creating new ad groups with exact match for your strong keywords (keep these ad groups themed). Then use negative exact match on your other ad groups to ensure that the exact match search queries are sent to your exact match keywords.

Modified broad match from the start can also be damaging to your campaign in that your search query report will not be able to easily identify missed oppurtunites for you. I always like to have a fair number of plain broad match in the beginning and sometimes leave them on. Kind of like a casting your net to see what fish are out there strategy. This does require you to spend time on your SQR and monitor the campaign, as well as constantly updating your negative keyword list, but the gems you find will often make this worth it.

With regards to the bidding structure. I would advise not using target CPA at all. While this can be a useful bidding tool, it is often used as a work around for 'early' conversion optimiser. There is a reason conversion optimiser needs 15 conversion in the last 30 days. Without this information the system can not adjust your bidding properly in order to get you your desired results.

By using target CPA bidding you have in essence asked the system to try and match that CPA but the system has no history or data to formulate a plan of action.

I would suggest switching to a manual CPC bidding structure and actually getting stuck into your account yourself, adjusting bids to your liking, spending more where it is worth more to you and so forth. When you have sufficient data that has not been gathered through an automated tool then you can consider using a target CPA or optimiser.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would start by looking at the search term report to check which keywords trigger the ads, and from there trying to conclude whether other keyboards / match types should be added.

Generally speaking, unless you are in a niche market, I prefer (as Clynton suggested) to organize keywords by mache types and bid accordingly (The highest to exact match and lowest on board)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Clynton,

Thank you for an elaborate reply. I was also wondering why some of my keywords even with a good quality score (7/10 and 8/10) are not triggering ads. The reason mentioned here is low ad rank. How can I improve my ad rank when the quality score is already good.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sheema,

The simple answer is to raise your bid. AD rank is (in a simple form) bid x QS. So if you have a high QS then your bid is too low.

Learn more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

Hope this helps.

P.S. Ad extensions do now play a role in Ad rank, so ensure you have some relevant ad extensions enabled

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sheema, though I wouldn't normally disagree with Clynton, I personally don't recommend using the "negative blocking" process he describes (using negative Keywords to force a match to the new Exact Group).

AdWords has sophisticated algorithms in place that pick the best Keyword to use for matching when two or more can match to a search term and this decision includes the CPC.  AdWords always looks to match the Keyword that most closely matches the search term in any case, so when we're talking about Exact match Keywords, these should always win in preference to a MBM Keyword without the need to force the issue.  If they don't, it'll be for a good reason and by forcing a match you could end up spending more than necessary.

What average position are you seeing with your Keywords?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits