Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Quality and Synonyms in Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to increase the Quality Score of my keywords, so I'm arranging them in sets that share the same keywords, in order to make groups of ads.

When looking into Quality Score help pages it says "Each ad group within your campaign should focus on a single product or service so that your ads appear more relevant to customers". So far, so good, but what happens with the synonyms of a single product? e.g. If within my keywords I have the words: chemistry course and chemistry class, should I make different ads for each?

Also, do the modifiers affect the ads? i.e. If I have [chemistry class] and [chemistry course], would  these words get a good quality score for an ad saying: Professional Chemistry Classes? what about +Chemistry +Classes, or "Chemistry Course"?

I know there are several factor that are taken into consideration for Quality rating, but if we only take this into consideration, what should I do? Make a single ad for synonyms or different ads for each synonym?

Any help would be much appreciated,

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos C
September 2015

Re: Keyword Quality and Synonyms in Ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

About ", what should I do? Make a single ad for synonyms or different ads for each synonym?"

My opinion is to create different ads, as they represent different words. The relevancy of the Ad should increase if the keyword which matches the search term appears in the Ad text.

You can also use DKI if you have for example 4 synonyms and the headline "Subscribe to {KeyWord:Chemistry Courses} "

and keywords:

"Chemistry Courses"

"Chemistry Classes"

"Chemistry Groups"

"Chemistry Lessons"

"Chemistry Tutorials"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carlos C
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

About ", what should I do? Make a single ad for synonyms or different ads for each synonym?"

My opinion is to create different ads, as they represent different words. The relevancy of the Ad should increase if the keyword which matches the search term appears in the Ad text.

You can also use DKI if you have for example 4 synonyms and the headline "Subscribe to {KeyWord:Chemistry Courses} "

and keywords:

"Chemistry Courses"

"Chemistry Classes"

"Chemistry Groups"

"Chemistry Lessons"

"Chemistry Tutorials"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I would avoid any broad match keyword, since the list of synonyms is huge....You could find your ad triggered by a synonym KW, you had no idea it could be considered as a synonym. ... Smiley Surprised

As for whether to include variants (of keywords)  or have them as separate keywords  - check this recent discussion

[Keyword] Plural or No Plural

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

I would prepare seprate adgroup for synonyms such as class, course, tutorial etc. And would prefer to keep adcopy specific to the keywords in adgroups. I would prefer BMM, Exact and Phrase. Agree with Moshe that broad brings lot of irrelevant queries. I too rarely(close to nil) use broad keywords.

Keep the search query closely matched with the keywords in the adgroup by adding unwanted queries as negative and choose appropriate landing page. Use correct and specific ad extensions.

- NG
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for your help. One last question, would using Keyword Insertion affect the Quality Score? If it wouldn't (or even better, if it increases the quality score), I think that would be the best option to deal with synonyms. Am I right?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Usually, DKI increases CTR, which (in turns) directly affects QS
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I only want to add here that DKI needs care. Care as in one who is using DKI needs to be bit careful with keywords in the adgoup. Such as do not add misspells, keywords which you dont want to be shown in adcopy. Also make sure sytex of DKI that you use is correct.

Just a suggestion, before using DKI read about it thoroughly on google source page and you can also go through user article section of community and can find article on DKI.

Hope that helps!
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for your help. It is very much appreciated.