4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner displaying lower average monthly searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Last Thursday I checked some keywords on Keyword Planner. I went back this afternoon to check those keywords again and discovered drastically different numbers for the "average monthly searches". For instance, last week the keyword "accounting firm chicago" had 2400 average monthly searches. Today when I entered the same keyword, the number of average monthly searches was 50. What would cause such a big discrepancy? Which numbers are accurate - last week's or this week's? How often do the average monthly searches change in Keyword Planner?

Thanks!

Re: Keyword Planner displaying lower average monthly searches

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kathryn,

Did you enter all of your filters the same way? Dod you choose to target the whole US or just Chicago? Did you use quotation marks around your search term? I think 50 searches per month for the term you mentioned sounds really low but I can't be sure without just a bit more information. Some fluctuation is normal but not that much. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I entered the keyword the exact same way as I did last week (no quotation marks) and I didn't use any new filters. I was targeting the whole US. I went to KeywordSpy, which is a site that helps you see which websites rank for certain keywords, and the estimated searches per month that they listed was much closer to the data I saw on Google AdWords last week. Maybe there's a problem with my account?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kathryn,

The first thing that comes to mind is that you are using the forecast section of the tool. And as this would indicate, it is a predication tool that forecasts future traffic based on your filter setting such as last 7 days.

If this is not the case and you are in fact using the search volume section of the tool, then there must be something that you have changed and or are remembering incorrectly. The avg monthly searches on the search volume tool is based on the last 12 months of data, so an average change from 2400 to 50 will not occur from one week to the next.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kathryn,

This has been bothering me somewhat so I have done some experimentation and exploration into your particular case. I think I may have found what has happened, and the reason you noticed it is because of your keyword choice and the fact that you were examining the data both before and after the change.

I went in assuming that you were right on all fronts and wanted to see how and why the problem could have occurred and this is what I have found:

It would seem as though AdWords has taken their location specific keyword restrictors to the keyword planner. This means that your keyword above "accounting firm chicago" is being restricted to only searches happening in Chicago for that keyword irrespective of your targeting options.

You can see this by changing your location targeting and playing around with that. You will notice that the keyword above is only being triggered or at least receiving data in the Chicago area.

So it would seem that Google has changed the location targeting of the keyword planner to location without intent, thus location specific keywords will not be accurate on the planner.

I hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think you are probably right about this! Thanks!