AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Performance is low

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,,

I have tried almost everything to improve quality score of a keyword but I am not getting the desired result.

1) I have checked the match types of keywords.

2) I have made sure that negative keywords are included properly.

3) I Checked the keywords search volume also.
4) I have made sure that they are put in respective ad groups and have relevant ads.

Still the problem is not solved 100%. 
What should I do?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Performance is low

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Akshay
The 'performance' of keywords is a relative one, it may mean difference things to different people. For you it may mean not getting enough impressions/clicks, for me it may be low CTR, for Tom it could be low conversion rate while for [censored] it could be high cost per conversion etc etc. So if you could point out what exactly it is for you then maybe I can help you much better.

Till then, let say you are not getting enough clicks for some keyword(s). Since you have everything in order as you mentioned, have you also checked the bids? If it is too low then then that could be the issue.

Also double check negative keywords and be little frugal with them, just initially. Also, checking campaign settings (including location targeted)and see if you can locate a snag.

Let me know how it goes

Thanks
Ajay

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Akshay,

Unfortunately some keywords just have bad historical quality score. How long have you had the keywords in the campaign? The keywords can be in a campaign for over a month before they trigger "True Quality Score" . If your keyword is 6/10 then it may not have achieved TQS yet. If it has dropped below 6 then it is likely that there are other issues.

Some factors for low quality score include: Low position leading to poor CTR, low historical score, low search volume, low CTR, poor account quality, duplicate keywords across campaigns, poor landing page relevance, landing page issues.

I suggest that you do the following:

• Increase your overall account quality (no keywords in your entire account under 6/10).
  • Make sure your landing page is optimised
  • Slowly introduce your preferred keyword back into your campaign
  • Maintain a position 1-3

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Akshay,
I would suggest not to use Quality Score as Key Performance Indicator but use metrics which are really important to you or your client such as ROAS, Cost per Conversion, Page Depth etc.

Coming back to your question regarding Quality Score, I would recommend to check this thread:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Quality-Score-The-Magical-amp-Mysterious-Metrics/...
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey, If you understand how quality score works then I highly suggest you DO use it as a KPI. If you do not look at QS and only conversions then your conversions are coming in at a much higher cost. Having account wide high quality scores DOES affect the over all performance of your account and it does indeed bring down the cost tremendously. Can it be consider a valuable KPI? Yes, but only if you understand it well and know how to use it.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I mean to say the quality score of a keyword is very low.
I have checked the bid also. Scheduling ads for certain period or certain location won't affect on quality score of keywords. I have checked the negative keywords 10 times yet unsuccessful

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Bryan,
I do know how to quality score works and if you have optimized adwords account you may have noticed that all actions which tend to increase quality score are adwords best practices to get better results on other KPIs. For example, if you optimize using ROAS KPI your quality score will also improve as if you want to get better ROAS you need to give more relevant ads, drive traffic to more relevant pages, add negatives etc.

The problem with Quality Score as KPI - how would you understand what changes affected Quality score and what is more important - what this knowledge will give you. Would you gain more profit? If yes, how did you understand that?
From your reply I understood that you have a specific plan how to use quality score, I would be gratefull if you will share it with us.
Also share how you optimize account quality score and how you understand that your account quality score has changed.

Thanks.
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Akshay,

As We all know the major factors that impacts the QS are:

• Expected CTR
  • Ad Relevance
  • landing page experience

Expected CTR measures how likely it is that your ads will get clicked when shown for that keyword, irrespective of your ad's position, extensions, and other ad formats that may affect the visibility of your ads.

As per you:

I have checked the match types of keywords.

I have made sure that negative keywords are included properly.

I Checked the keywords search volume also.

I have made sure that they are put in respective ad groups and have relevant ads.

Please do have some tests and analyse the result.

• Change your exact of phrase match to modified broad.
  • Use some general list of negatives as well as regularly weed out from search query report.
  • Though all the keywords are in the themed adgroups but still if you have more than 8-9 keywords in an adgroup then just 2-3 ads are not enough for the relevancy of all those keywords. Don't get fully satisfied with your current adcopies, always do split testing as there is always a scope of further optimization.
  • Include offers, discounts and highlight the unique features of your business and have a strong call to action so that your ad attract users to click.
  • use ad extensions to increase the CTR.
  • Don't do marketing just to beat the competitors, target the pin points of the customer and create ads giving them solutions.
  • do split testing with the landing pages also.
  • On your landing page, show exactly the same thing that your have highlighted in your ads and keywords. Make the landing page enticing with different layouts and test them.
  • If your goal is from fill up/sign up then reduce the form field to the minimum.
  • check the landing page load time.

All these activities will help you to boost the QS.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Just a quick question, Can you tell me average score for following 3 categories ?

Expected CTR
Ad Relevance
landing page experience

You should be able to understand which area is lacking.