star_border

Keyword Matching Confusion

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

i have little bit Confusion on Phrase match And Exact Match

Situation:

1)  Does word "to","from","the" matters in phrase match and Exact match Keyword type?

if i use phrase match Keyword "Flights to Delhi"

Does a Search Querry "Flight Delhi" trigger my Keyword.?

Same search querry For Keyword Type used as Exact Match?

2) Does Oreder matter in Phrase match and Exact Match?

My Keyword: Phrase match "Business Class Flights Delhi"

Does a Search Querry "Delhi Business Class Flights" trigger my Keyword.?

Same search querry For Keyword Type used as Exact Match?

3) What is Close variations 

if i use Exact Match Keyword[Business Class Flights Delhi"]

A search Querry "Business Class Flights DEL" will trigger my ad? (DEl Short Code For Delhi Or New Delhi)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Matching Confusion

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Shiv,

Yes "to" "from" "the" matters in the phrase and exact match.

-- If user search for "Fligts to Delhi" - ad will not trigger for "flight delhi" for both phrase and exact match.

-- "Business Class Flights Delhi" will not trigger Delhi Business Class Flights for both phrase and exact match type.

-- Phrase Match: It triggers ads for the search terms which includes all keywords in same order and additional keywords before and after. You can use broad match modifier where you need add + sign it triggers search terms which includes all the keywords with plus sign in any order and addition keywords before and after.

-- Exact Match: It triggers ads for the search terms which exactly matches with the keyword.

Close Variants Includes: plurals, misspellings, singular, acronyms, stemming, abbreviations and accents.

You can optin or opt out of this option under campaign settings.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shiv B
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
To add to the great response by NehaGupta

[Exact match] will only trigger your ad if the user types in the verbatim order and words you choose. So if you keyword is [Exact Match] a query will NOT be show for "Match Exact"
"How to get Exact Match" or any other variation that is type in that is not "EXACT MATCH".

So in your example Exact Match Keyword[Business Class Flights Delhi"]
If some one typed in "Business Class Flights DEL" your ad would not be triggered to your exact match. You would want to Ad an exact match for that term [Business Class Flights DEL] in order for that to bid for the exact match of those terms.

As stated you can consider the broad match modifier
+Business +Class +Flights+DEL
+Business +Class +Flights +Delhi

to bring in any search queries that include all of those terms. Note if you use a Broad Match, Broad Match Modifiers or even Phrase match you will want to make sure you also add a Negative Keyword List.

With Close Variants ( under the settings configuration) if you keywords are only Exact Match then Close Variants (plurals, misspellings, singular, acronyms, stemming, abbreviations and accents) will not trigger your ad,

If you have Broad Match terms, Phrase Match or Broad Match Modifiers, then close variants will trigger your ads, However this can be extremely costly if you don't have an extensive Negative Keyword list, because close variants can bring in High CPC that are not relevant. So be careful with Close Variants.

Good Luck.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanx NehaGupa,Eric For Clearing My Doubts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So in terms of broad match modified for a negative keyword list (like in a shared library), do you apply the same method? For example, if you are targeting a specific type of thing like running shoes but don't want to come up for walking shoes (because you don't sell those) would you add +walking to your negative keyword list to eliminate the possibility of coming up for walking shoes, walking sneakers, walking boots, walk shoes, walker boots, etc?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Patrick...
i think Broad Match Modifier Couldn't Be use as -Ve keyword.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That sucks. It would be a really good feature.