AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Keyword Destination URL not overriding Ad Destination URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can I make my Keyword Destination URLs override the Ad Destination URLs without moving the keywords to a new ad group?

 

Earlier this week I set up Keyword Destination URLs for new broad match terms. When I review Google Analytics for yesterday, I see that the new keywords have clicks attibuted to them, which is exactly what I was hoping for. However, the Destination URL for those clicks are the ones from the ads, not the ones from the keywords.

 

Although the Destination URL often has additional parameters after it, both the Display URL & the Destination URL start with the same root. Example:

 

Yesterday, someone searched:
     pinecrest bluffton sc homes for sale
which matched keyword:
     +bluffton +sc +pinecrest +sale
Display URL for all ads relating to this is:
     HiltonHeadRealtySales.com/Bluffton
Destination URL varies:

Search only went to Destination URL http://www.hiltonheadrealtysales.com/Bluffton/

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Destination URL not overriding Ad Destination URL

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Dino,

 

It should override automatically if you followed these instructions. But the general gist is:

  1. Click on the Keywords tab.
  2. Physically check the keyword check box to the left of the keyword.
  3. Click on Edit to the right of the green +Keyword button
  4. Select change destination URL.
  5. A dropdown menu should appear and once you have entered in the URL select the make changes button.  

Hope that helps. 

Re: Keyword Destination URL not overriding Ad Destination URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Shanea. That's exactly what I did when I set up the new keywords, and the URL that's there for the keyword is a working URL. (Takes me there when I click on it.)

I went through the steps again as you outlined, and the same URL shows, leading me to the same landing page.

Alas, that's not the destination url the person who clicked on the ad went to; they went to the destination url from the ad.