Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Conversions Dropped Off

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey All,

I have a keyword that has been a solid performing keyword since I began working with this account in January. Monthly conversions range from 3,000 - 5,000 (fluctuation is mostly due to seasonality). Then in July the conversions dropped to 161.It appears some of the conversions have been picked up by other keywords in the campaign, but not near the amount of conversions as usual. All other metrics have dropped too, impressions, clicks, etc... It's just this one keyword in the campaign so i'm baffled. Any Ideas?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Conversions Dropped Off

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi CBWY5, can you see a clear point at which the conversion rate changes?  I would have thought that going from 100+ conversions per day to less than 10 your graph for conversion rate should show a very clear break point.

Do you monitor/label Average Position?  CPC?  Do you have any data for this time of year in 2012?

I presume you have no Account changes on or around the change in conversion rate that might be linked?

Above all this my first thought is really that you may have a new competitor on the market who has knocked your position down, but it's a big change for that to be the case.  What do your competitive metrics look like?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You may also want to do this:
1. Check your campaign performance data before and after Enhanced Campaign migration.
You may want to analyze below
1. i. Device Specific Analysis (Check if you see increase/decrease in Mobile Specific Conversions, check if you see increase in Mobile specific CPC. Act on it accordingly by either reducing or increasing the bids by certain percentage) (Do this for Desktop and Tablets)
1.ii. Check your Average Position before and after Enhanced Campaign. If you see change in Average Position Try to bring back by either reducing or increasing it.

Regards,
Balu.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@LathaBalu Since CBWY5 has reported that impressions and clicks have also decreased, this problem is unlikely to be related to the change to Enhanced Campaigns, which typically results in an increase in overall impressions when tablets and/or mobiles become more active.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cobnut & LathaBalu, Thanks for the feedback. Yes, there is a date that conversions drop off with no internal changes made to the campaign. This campaign is dedicated to keywords associated just to the name of our website and pretty much runs on auto pilot with a automated bid adjustment script to keep our keep words in the top spot.

The overall year over year performance of this campaign is following the trend we anticipated except for this keyword. The average position went from 1.3 in 2012 to 1.4 in 2013...so not much change. Average CPC is where the bigger change has occurred and increased by about 200%.

We currently work with a third party to help monitor competitors bidding on our same keywords. We entered this keyword into our query yesterday so i will follow up with any info i may find from them.

Thanks
Curtis

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon,
I asked this because the problems we faced in our Campaign after moving to Enhanced Campaign were listed below:
1. Increase in impressions for Mobile Traffic
2. Decrease in impressions for Desktops and Tablets for the adgroups performing well but increase in impressions for every adgroups. Here the impression increase happened for across adgroups but decrease in impression for best performing adgroup. This is for good reason also as Google is now spreading the impressions for other adgroups too.
3. The another reason for decrease in impression for best performing adgroup is because of slight change in Average Position.

Regards,
Balu.