AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Changes Erases its Historical Data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I was wondering if editing an existing keyword erases its historical data, like quality score, impressions, and clicks?

Right now, I'm in the process of adding + signs to certain broad match keywords in order to make them modified broad. When I make the change in the editor, the historical data for the keywords hasn't changed, but I'm wondering if they will change once I post the changes. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Re: Keyword Changes Erases its Historical Data?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

When you edit the keyword itself or the match type, you're removing the original keyword and creating a new one. Also, the statistics your keyword has accumulated will be reset to zero and yes this will take change once the you post the new changes. Therefore you should add new keywords instead of editing the old keywords to keep your old statistics.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erika S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Erika S,

Ahmed is both correct and incorrect. When you edit a keyword, it has the effect of deleting the old keyword and adding the edited keyword as a new keyword. This is as is it should be in most cases, as it is a new keyword.

But the data is not reset and does remain available. You just need to make sure you are looking at "All keywords" and not "All but deleted". And you need to be sure you are looking at a date range when the keyword was active. Nothing is ever really deleted, as in removed and made unavailable. If you add new keywords with the BMM modifier and then pause or delete the original keyword, it has exactly the same effect.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

When you edit the keyword itself or the match type, you're removing the original keyword and creating a new one. Also, the statistics your keyword has accumulated will be reset to zero and yes this will take change once the you post the new changes. Therefore you should add new keywords instead of editing the old keywords to keep your old statistics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ahmed!

I ran some tests just to make sure and you are right. Thanks again!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Erika S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Erika S,

Ahmed is both correct and incorrect. When you edit a keyword, it has the effect of deleting the old keyword and adding the edited keyword as a new keyword. This is as is it should be in most cases, as it is a new keyword.

But the data is not reset and does remain available. You just need to make sure you are looking at "All keywords" and not "All but deleted". And you need to be sure you are looking at a date range when the keyword was active. Nothing is ever really deleted, as in removed and made unavailable. If you add new keywords with the BMM modifier and then pause or delete the original keyword, it has exactly the same effect.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords