3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Bounce Rate

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What role do you think keywords play in landing page bounce rate apart from design and content? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Bounce Rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kapil,
Welcome to the community.

Your question doesn't really make any logical sense, not in how I'm reading it anyway.

Keywords don't play a role in landing page bounce rate. Unless you mean what is the role of KEYWORDS ON THE PAGE in bounce rate? If that's the question, the answer is a lot actually. I've tested single keyword landing pages and even tested passing the matched search query to a script that parsed the keyword in the headline and it dropped bounce rate CONSIDERABLY (although a marginal increase in conversions).

My example falls into the "content" part of your exclusion. Content and design, what else is there?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your frank opinion. However, my idea to this question was...Do you really think choosing not precise keywords and too many broad match keywords can contribute to the overall bounce rate of the landing page? And of course, content and design are the key components of the landing page. However, I am thinking keywords as an engine that drives visitors to the landing page.

Regards,

Kapil M

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kapil

If i understood your question right, then i would say that keywords will also play a major role in landing page bounce rate.
Just to be more clear, suppose you have a broad match keyword "mobile phones" and when a user search for "mobile phone accessories" then definitely your ad will be triggered and if the user clicks on your ad then he/she will be landed to a page where all only mobile phones are listed not the accessories so changes are very high that user will bounce to another page as he/she is not looking for a mobile phone as its already there.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Abhishek,

So your answer does say that, keywords do play a role in landing page bounce rate. Now adding to this, what if all keywords are of exact match?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
IMO, If the keywords are exact match then they will trigger the exact same
keyword or some close variantion of it and if you choose the relevant
landing page then bounce rate will not be affected as the user will get the
exact same thing on the page which he/she searched.

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Excellent example Abhishek!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Abhishek,

I was talking in the context of broad match type and had some doubts on the same. So I think I am on the right track.

Regards,

Kapil M

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@ Kapil;

This question (your revised version ) comes often by advertisers;

The notion that "spreading" keywords on the landing page (no matter in which match type) will improve either relevance or ranking -   is gone.  The bots are smart. Contextual targeting algorithm is sophisticated,. Don't use "techniques". Write your content to a human user. Any attempt, to write content to a machine, will most like fail.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’