AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Key Words Letters

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords PPL,

does it matter if for example my keyword is:

1. love Love LOVE
  2. "love" "Love" "LOVE"
  3. [love] [Love] [LOVE]

Thank you

Find me at Google+ l LinkedIn

- Lukas
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: Key Words Letters

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Lukas M,

Nope, capitalization of keywords is ignored in the big scheme of how AdWords works. Having multiple keywords in your account where the only difference is capitalization ("LOVE" and "Love" and "love") are the same keywords. I keep it simple and use all lowercase myself.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Even i came across one such example..in which it was that the

Campaign name - Shoes

Adgroup name - Shoes

Keywords - shoes, "shoes", [shoes]

Adcopy :- Shoes Shoes Shoes

Shoes shoes shoes

shoes Shoes Shoes

www.??????.com/Shoes

Note: I have taken shoes just for example actually the product was something else.

And the person giving this example also said because of this the relevancy was very high and the QS was 10.

But he also wrote that Google disapproved it after 2-3 days.

I just wonder is that possible?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

[deleted  to occupy less space , as it has been better answered bellow]

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian,

But i would like to know does the adcopy they way i wrote actually works does it help in get good QS for the keywords because of high relevancy.?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Lukas M,

Nope, capitalization of keywords is ignored in the big scheme of how AdWords works. Having multiple keywords in your account where the only difference is capitalization ("LOVE" and "Love" and "love") are the same keywords. I keep it simple and use all lowercase myself.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

To clarify and summarize all of this:

Capitalization does not matter in AdWords. The program ignores is (except when filling in ads with DKI).

Keyword match types absolutely do matter since they control how widely your keywords will be matched to search queries.  Keyword match types are discussed here and reading the info will help you determine which match types you want to use.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi, Gurpreet S - 

I don't know if the ad would be considered highly relevant but I suspect that it would since the automated program would note the use of the keyword in the ad.

What's more important, I think, is that the ad is sure to be disapproved as a violation of policy. So, it doesn't matter if it creates a temporary boost to relevancy or not--it's not going to be allowed to stay active for any length of time.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

First of all I want to congratulate PPCBossman for his keen sense of observation.

If we are all sharing personal experiences here, let me share this proof that a user brought in the forum that capitalisation provided different results.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Plural-Words-and-Capitalizations/m-p/181800/...

I admit I couldn't find any Google documentation to support the fact that capitalization in keywords is not important , I did search this matter because for Brand search terms people use capitalization in the search engine and I thought I could optimize the CTR by using initial capitalization in the keywords to match the search intent better.

Since two esteemed members say that capitalization does not matter, may I ask on what are your assertions based ? Is there a google article that I am missing or just personal experience ? I do not mean to contradict at all.

For example when I look at the top charts of the Google trends , all those brand names are with initial capitalization , are they not search terms also ?

http://www.google.com/trends/topcharts

Again I do not mean to contradict, I want to find a best practice for targeting brand search terms , initial capitalization of keywords vs. initial capitalization in search terms, a good idea or not ? I hope this is ontopic with that the OP was asking.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Nothing keen going here Adrian. I read all questions thoroughly and ensure to the best of my abilities that I understand it clearly before I post.  I don't want to put time into an possible solution that is not related to a users' query. I only want to help users and be as efficient as possible when I chose to do so.

I'm afraid I have a hard time validating your proof.  Yes different results but that's it.  Doesn't prove that Google uses or pays attention to keyword capitalization at all.  Sure, anyone can add in duplicate keywords and yes, over time, they may both be served and see impressions, especially as one gathers 'historical data' the other may all of a sudden rank higher for certain searches. In the examples provided, it appears that we're talking about broad match keywords from the same ad group too.  Again, we all know what can happen there in regards to which search queries are matched to these keywords, often there is little rhyme or reason. When they can or need to, Google will experiment with which keywords are served from within an account to determine the best possible match for the end user. Thus, the impressions over time could easily be shared by multiple iterations of the same keyword. The reality is, they're still the same keyword.  So let's just entertain this idea for a second...you add in duplicate keywords to your account. Over time (a statistically significant amount of time) one keyword will out-perform the other.  Great, what's the next logical action based on that result?  You pause one keyword, then all the impressions end up back to one keyword.  Not much is accomplished, IMO.

Resources, you ask.  Well, here are a few:

From the Help Center: How to build the best keyword list

"Keywords aren't case-sensitive; they're matched without regard to upper-case or lower-case letters. For example, you don't need to enter chocolate candy and Chocolate Candy as keywords -- just chocolate candy will cover both."

If you didn't know Brad Geddes, you should and now you do:

Does AdWords differentiate keywords by capitalization, underscores, or apostrophes?

Inside AdWords Blog post from August 02, 2010: http://adwords.blogspot.com/2010/08/adwords-myths-common-misperceptions.html

"Myth # 5: Upper and lower case letters in AdWords keywords matter

Fact: The AdWords system doesn't distinguish between uppercase and lowercase letters.
“NYC” is the same as “nyc”
“Android Phone” is the same as “android phone”
For the sake of simplicity, we recommend that you enter all of your keywords as lowercase letters."

Finally, it's probably not the best idea to review Google's search trends while trying to decipher how case sensitivity is handled by AdWords.  It appears to me that every single term listed there is using Initial Caps.  I unable to make any logical assumptions based upon that.

-Tommy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Amazingly insightful response , it brings joy to a mind full of questions. I had an ACE experiment with initial capitalization for brand names that had mixed results , I guess your first part of the explanation covers the "why" of such results.

By searching the Trends I was hoping that something changed with the capitalization as a search intent like Google did a change with the DKY and the all caps instruction ( debated here ) , something that would turn profitable in my account and that competitors would have no clue about.

I do some reading but old articles may hold less truth than new ones, Mr. Brad Geddes is a gold mine, anyway that quote from the help center is all I needed to put an end to uncertainty about this issue.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide teaching.