AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Keep old adgroup running while new adgroups ads get approved?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi,

So I have this dilemma. 

I have an adgroup with 15 keywords. Three keywords in here at at QS2. They're dragging down the Adgroups QS. But they're also the bread winners. 

It's time for them to find them a new home.

The keywords are:

1. [exact]
  2. +exact
  3. [exact match]

This adgroup has more than 30 clicks and has a great history (which means the call extensions are displaying well and dandy). 

The restructure plan for this is to take #1 & #2 and put them in one adgroup and also make 1 & 2 the negatives of their current adgroup (to avoid cross contamination). Then put #3 in its own adgroup. So two new adgroups in total.

All's well as far as the restructure goes (feel free to correct me if I'm sorely mistaken about everything being well!)

Now, the dilemma is the call extensions and the ads. These 2 new adgroups need 60 clicks in total before they both show the call extensions and also the ads take about 3-4 days (yes Google's been consistently slow lately) before they get approved (the ads have one of those "need review" keywords in them)

So if I were to create these new adgroups, pause the old keywords in their current home/adgroup, I lose traffic and call extensions. First I lose traffic obviously because the ads will be under review. Second there's a ramp up period of another 3-4 days before I get the clicks in so the call extensions finally start displaying. I can't afford that much of a dead-zone.

I was wondering I can run all of these (new adgroups) side-by-side and ignore the cross contamination until the new adgroups are achieving my goals (60 clicks & ads approved) and THEN pause the keywords in the current (old) adgroup. Anyone see anything wrong with this "plan"?

Please advise.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: Keep old adgroup running while new adgroup's ads get appro

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mark,

You can do that - it isn't necessarily advisable but, if I'm being honest, it wouldn't hurt much to let them both simultaneously for a few days. My only concern is that most queries will probably continue to map to the old campaign (since they have history) and it's going to take even longer than a few days to reach the minimum click levels to be eligible for a call forwarding number.

Here's what I would recommend:

1. Build out your new ad groups and set ithem to paused.  The ads will still be reviewed even if they aren't active.  
  2. Add call extensions that don't use the call forwarding number, because these don't require a minimum click level before they are eligible to show. If this is on behalf of a client, you'll have to set expectations that it might make reporting a bit wonky for a few days but at least it shouldn't actually affect business.
  3. Wait for a few days, until ads are no longer under review and activate the new ad group, pausing the keywords in the old ad group.
  4. Once you have enough clicks, switch your call extensions to using forwarding numbers.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mark,

You can do that - it isn't necessarily advisable but, if I'm being honest, it wouldn't hurt much to let them both simultaneously for a few days. My only concern is that most queries will probably continue to map to the old campaign (since they have history) and it's going to take even longer than a few days to reach the minimum click levels to be eligible for a call forwarding number.

Here's what I would recommend:

1. Build out your new ad groups and set ithem to paused.  The ads will still be reviewed even if they aren't active.  
  2. Add call extensions that don't use the call forwarding number, because these don't require a minimum click level before they are eligible to show. If this is on behalf of a client, you'll have to set expectations that it might make reporting a bit wonky for a few days but at least it shouldn't actually affect business.
  3. Wait for a few days, until ads are no longer under review and activate the new ad group, pausing the keywords in the old ad group.
  4. Once you have enough clicks, switch your call extensions to using forwarding numbers.

Hope this helps!

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hi Amy!

That looks like a much better and far simpler idea, can't believe I didn't see it sooner! The only thing I'd like to clarify is "call forwarding number". This account is Canadian - so no Google Forwarding numbers. Only manual numbers.

Are you saying any manually entered numbers do not require minimum click volumes? Is there any literature you can point me to that validates this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Happens to all of us! By the time you plan out a restructure, it's so easy to over think the implementation of it but it's always with the best of intentions Smiley Happy

I didn't realize it was a Canadian account but I assume the rules are the same, barring call forwarding details.

Here's what the help section says:

Your ad group needs a minimum number of clicks to be able to show a Google forwarding number. There is no minimum click requirement to show call extensions....

Here's the link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704420#call

Hope this helps!

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Wow, if this is it, then I have nothing to worry about really. But I could swear I saw this same section that didn't explicitly mention that it is for Google Forwarding numbers only!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I can't find much in the help section but I did find another article on search engine watch that states that call extensions will still show without a min level of clicks. It's almost a year old but i don't think anything has changed since then.

Here it is: http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2317164/Google-AdWords-Call-Extensions-Beware-the-Data-Gaps

((fingers crossed))

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Thank you Amy!
One last question. I broke out #1 and #2 into their own adgroup. Then paused them. I am adding them as negatives in their previous adgroup. I'm on the right track, right? (even the +exact keyword that's a BMM will go in as negative)