Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

KW Destination URL vs. New Ad Group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

I'm just looking for some advice - I'm new(ish) to optimizing accounts & I'm curious:

When would one use a unique destination URL at the keyword level vs. creating a new ad group?

I'm working on an account that has a few ad groups that feature quite a few keywords with destination URLs different then the ad group (50%)... shouldn't these be broken down into more targets ad groups??

Thanks in advance to any/all input!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meg T
September 2015

Re: KW Destination URL vs. New Ad Group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Meg,

Check why 50% keywords have keywords level URLs. Do these URLs have very specific content that is directly related to the respective keywords?

Check the quality score of those keywords. It is a great indicator of the keyword-ad copy-landing page combination. Usually the Quality score will be high for a good combination.

Check the past performance as the account is old, like CTR and conversions.

Think about new ad groups only if you can see significant improvements by doing so. Like writing more specific ads, which can improve CTR and conversions.

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meg T
September 2015

Re: KW Destination URL vs. New Ad Group

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

If I can add to the discussion, I would say there are multiple times when keyword-level destination URLs are appropriate.

Let's say, for instance, that I sell shoes. I have an Ad Group named Pumps, Red ('red pumps' is a kind of woman's shoe).

Inside that Ad Group, I have these keywords:

buy red pumps

buy online red pumps

buy (brand A) pumps red

red pumps (Brand A)

buy (brand B) red pumps

red pumps (Brand B)

(brand C) red pumps

This Ad Group is performing well--the ad CTR is good and the sales I can track back to these keywords are profitable.

Now, one month, Brand B pumps are on sale, so I put up a "sale" page on my website. I want to direct all Brand B search traffic to that page. On the other hand, I don't want to move the Brand B keywords because they are profitable right where they're at most of the time. They are in an Ad Group with a good performance history and after the sale is over, I want them to continue serving the traffic right there.

So, for one month, I add a Keyword-level destination URL to the Brand B keywords in this Ad Group, to temporarily direct that search traffic to the "sale" webpage.

At the end of the month/sale, I remove the Keyword-level destination URLs and the Brand B keywords go back to trigger the same webpage they did before the sale--the place where they were profitable before.

It's not a perfect example Smiley Happy but that's one reason someone would use Keyword-level destination URLs.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*