AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is there room to gain traffic for this situation ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am looking at an account with a few hundred "simple broad match" keywords from 2-3 words. They all are kind of relevant when I look at the 40.000 search terms, because the search terms do not stray away too much from the meaning of the broad words. The words seem to have not many synonims or long tail variations.

Now if I look at the top 10% keywords which bring traffic they all have between 90 and 99% impression share. There are rare cases when the impression share is lost because of ad rank.

My question : Without thinking about adding new keywords. Are these simple broad match keywords with >90% Impr. Share enough to cover all the traffic of their phrase , BMM and exact match sub-variations ?

An example : 

If my keyword is word1 word2 word3 , simple broad match with an impression share of 99%.

Does this mean that adding 3 new keywords

+word1 +word2 +word3

"word1 word2 word3"

[word1 word2 word3]

will not bring suppliementary impressions ?

Or by adding the match type variations I will gain more traffic ?

I hope my question is simple and clear.  Thank you Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Is there room to gain traffic for this situation ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I answered - in your case there is no added value to ad all match types since you are not going to bid differently on each match type. (You said that the bid is low). So the strategy of using only broad match is OK. (Under the assumption you provided)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I might have been misunderstood. Let me explain again;
In the "classic strategy",  (which) most advertisers would follow, all match types are added  to the ad-group. Exact match gets the highest bid, phrase match a  lower  bid and the lowest bid goes to the broad match. The logic here is that the closer the match between a query and a keyword - the higher the bid. (To achieve a higher ad-rank, followed by a higher position.)

Unless you use this strategy, (i.e. a  different bid for each match type) -  there is no need to include other match types. Broad match would suffice. (As your data shows).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Broad match usually covers much more  than the user's intent. That's why historically the other match types were added:  to narrow the targeting audiences only to relevant users.

I personally stopped using the  broad match, unless in a niche business (like scientific  or engineering fields).

Though,  your case is similar, I would look into the option of BMM to save some spending. (Unless the CPC is low and then it is not worth the time spent on KW optimization.)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for answering. 

The avg. cpc is very low, it is a niche business with an average of 3 cents per click and a daily traffic of around 150 clicks.

I am not aiming at optimizing the account or at lowering the costs, the conversions make adwords well worth the daily cost.

I just want to know if the general impression share is very high for the broad match keywords, will it bring more traffic if I add their BMM, phrase and exact match variants ? Or is the traffic of these variants included in the impression share gained already by the simple broad match.

I use the simple broad match a lot because it brings search terms that convert. Whenever I try to add such search terms as keywords even as BMM , they result mostly in "low search volume" , this makes the simple broad match worth keeping, but this is a different story.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
In this case, I would agree with the strategy you have taken

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

But i have not taken any strategy. Let me repeat the example and the question

An example : 

If my keyword is word1 word2 word3 , simple broad match with an impression share of 99%.

Does this mean that adding 3 new keywords

+word1 +word2 +word3

"word1 word2 word3"

[word1 word2 word3]

will not bring suppliementary impressions ? (yes or no)

---------

I basically want to know if it is worth adding the match type variations of simple broad match keywords, when these already have 99% impression share. Is there any supplementary impression share to gain from this action or not ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I answered - in your case there is no added value to ad all match types since you are not going to bid differently on each match type. (You said that the bid is low). So the strategy of using only broad match is OK. (Under the assumption you provided)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I wasn't thinking about bids because there is almost no impression share lost to ad rank, but you made me curious. What happens if I do bid differently after adding the match type variations ?

In my mind, if the simple broad match has 99% impression share, the other match types will only take a slice of the impressions that the simple broad match can bring .

In my understanding , the simple broad match includes all the traffic that the other more narrow match types could bring.

So if the simple broad keyword has 99% of the impression share, adding the other match types even with a different , higher bid, cannot gain more than the other 1% of impressions.

But i could be wrong, this is why I asked.

Maybe this inclusion of traffic by match types is not real. Maybe the match types of the same keywords can bring some extra traffic on top of the traffic collected by the simple broad match.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I might have been misunderstood. Let me explain again;
In the "classic strategy",  (which) most advertisers would follow, all match types are added  to the ad-group. Exact match gets the highest bid, phrase match a  lower  bid and the lowest bid goes to the broad match. The logic here is that the closer the match between a query and a keyword - the higher the bid. (To achieve a higher ad-rank, followed by a higher position.)

Unless you use this strategy, (i.e. a  different bid for each match type) -  there is no need to include other match types. Broad match would suffice. (As your data shows).