AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is there anyway to identify which term triggered a search from a particular geographical location?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I'm reviewing some location data in a campaign, I'm aware of the user location report etc... my question is: is there a way to find out what search term, ad-group or ad is triggering searches from a particular location?

Of course I ask this because I have some clicks appearing from irrelevant locations that aren't included in my geo-location selections, and I'd like to do somethng about it if possible!

Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is there anyway to identify which term triggered a search from a particular geographical locatio

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mr_V,

I could think of one quick resolution here, which you might consider looking at:

Extract the User Location Or geograhical Report by including the columns Campaign and Ad Group from Level of detail segment in that. Doing this will help you understand which particular campaign or rather which particular ad group the query came in.

Secondly extract the Search Terms Report including the keyword column in it. Now matching the 2 reports ( geographica and search terms one) might give you a little hint on the traffic coming in and based on that, you can take the required action on that particular campaign.

Hope that makes sense!

Pankaj

Re: Is there anyway to identify which term triggered a search from a particular geographical locatio

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mr_V,

I would also add that you may want to double check your advanced location options too.  If you allow for search intent, users can be outside of your target area and see/click on your ads.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mr_V, just to add to Pankaj's comments.  Location targeting isn't (yet!) an exact science; in fact in some areas (especially in Europe it seems) it's largely quite poor.  It simply may not be possible to target your Ads geographically as tightly as we all might like.  Furthermore, it's not really a good idea to try too hard.  I've seen a lot of advertisers spend an inordinate amount of time trying to block 10 visits a month out of a total measuring in the hundreds.  You also need to consider why you're location targeting.  As I've just ranted about in my latest blog, you can rarely stamp a precise distance upon something.  If you think your customers should come from no farther away than 30 miles, does that mean you won't accept one that's 31 miles away?

Of course you should work on improving your Campaign(s) in any way possible, but with Location targeting you need to make sure you measure the "lost" clicks against their cost in the greater scheme of your Return on Investment and, importantly, whether they're totally useless clicks in the first place.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pankaj, that seems to be a creative solution to it - I'll give that a go.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon,

I understand your sentiment - in this case I feel it's quite significant, reason being there are pretty hard limits on geographical location with this client, because this is a small service business operating from an HQ - vehicles can only travel so far from the HQ to remain profitable overall (in both time and money).

I haven't spent much time on this so far, was just interested to see if I'd missed a glaringly obvious way to see this kind of data in Adwords.

Thanks for your post.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip - I'll check my advanced options.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mr_V,

To view campaign & ad group data by location, you can navigate to the Dimensions tab and edit the columns to include both campaign & ad group.

I'm not sure how to look at keyword data by location in AdWords, but if you have your account linked to Google Analytics, then this is possible. You can look at your Location report with an Advanced Segment set to 'Paid Search Traffic'. Then add a second column for 'Keyword'. This is just one of many ways to segment the data in Analytics in order to view keyword by location. 

If you are receiving clicks from outside your geographic location, try editing your Advanced Location Options to only 'People in my Targeted Location'. Pankaj gave a great overview of Advanced Location Options in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hmm, it's tricky then.  Sometimes using location based Keywords can be more accurate - or both.  It's not even (really) a case of saying "I want 30 miles, therefore I'll say 25 to keep it inside", 'cos sometimes the apparent location is way off.

I think it's just back to what I said, you need to balance up the "loss" from these outside clicks against the overall profit from the account and make some decisions.

Is the limit set by the company that rigid?  I don't know anything about your company, obviously, but I do know that driving 20 miles through stop-start traffic or up and down winding, hilly roads is a lot different from driving 20 miles down a freeway.  Is there any variation in the value of the service being offered?  I'm wondering if you could promote the less-profitable services in a tigher radius and all another campaign for the more profitable ones to go farther.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits