AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is there any reason to have the same keyword and destination in multiple campaigns?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been assigned to an existing AdWords account. They have over 5000 keywords with duplication. I need to optimize! My question is this: I have duplication of the same exact keyword/destination URL combination set multiple times under different AdWord Campaigns and Ad Groups. Is there any reason for this to be set up this way? Does the Campaign and/or AdGroup on my end have any baring on the actual keyword search ad? To me it just looks like duplication and this could do with a good clean up.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Trish B
January 2017

Is there any reason to have the same keyword and destination in multiple campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If that is the case, there is no reasonable explanation for doing so. Chances are you you should weed them out.

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Trish B.

"Is there any reason for this to be set up this way?"

Positive, there might be. E.g. if the ad copies are different.

"Does the Campaign and/or AdGroup on my end have any baring on the actual keyword search ad?"

You mean a baring on the ad copy that shows when a particular keyword gets triggered? 

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos

Everything in the ad is the same, including copy.  The only thing is it is categorized multiple times under Campaign and/or Ad Group. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Trish B
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If that is the case, there is no reasonable explanation for doing so. Chances are you you should weed them out.

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Trish,

It sounds like the account is just messy and needs to be cleaned up. That being said, there may be differences in campaign and ad group targeting which require a keyword to exist multiple times in the account. This would allow the advertiser to tailor bids and ad copy based on contextual and demographic attributes of the user (location, time of day, audience, device, gender, etc.).

For example, say that the keyword "jeans" is in multiple campaigns. One reason for this could be that there's a campaign that only targets women that uses "women's jeans" in the ad copy, and vice versa for men. This would make the ads more relevant leading to higher click through rate. However, you mentioned that the ad copy is the same so this may not be the case.

Another use case for this strategy that doesn't involve different copy would be location targeting. For example, say that states in New England perform significantly better than the rest of the USA. There may be one campaign that targets New England with very high max CPCs, and another campaign that covers the rest of the USA with lower bids. Generally, the strategy in this situation would be to have only one campaign and use location bid adjustments to raise max CPCs in better performing states. However, I have seen accounts where states/regions are uniquely targeted.

In summary, before removing duplicate keywords ensure that the campaigns and ad groups have the exact same targeting settings across all attributes. If targeting is different then performance will change when you remove duplicates.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Is there any reason to have the same keyword and destination in multiple campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Those were my thought exactly but what ed to dive a little deeper before
pulling them out.