Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is retargeting creepy?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey everyone,

I was totally on board to set up a retargeting campaign but I've gotten some last minute cold feet. I'm in the mortgage industry and I'm concerned my potential customers will view the retargeting as creepy/invasive but there's no real evidence behind that... just a thought.

Does anyone have any insight on this? 

e.g.

A potential client visits my 'first time home buyer' page. Over the next 2 weeks, they start seeing my 'first time home buyer' ads. Seems like TOO big of a coincidence, and almost a breach of trust?

thanks

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is retargeting creepy?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore;

Short and simple: re-marketing is an excellent tool that brings leads from returning prospective customers.

Do not hesitate - use it.!

(I understand that you are familiar with the tool, so am not expanding with further reading)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Birchlore,

You can prevent the 'creepy' element of your remarketing ads to an extent if you use Frequecy Capping. Find more information here.

Frequency capping limits the number of times your ads appear to the same person on the Display Network.

Hope this helps,

Info

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore, you can also be less creepy by choosing your remarketing lists carefully.  This may involve a re-structure of your site but if you are able to create lists from people who showed only a very strong interest in your site - maybe because they visited multiple pages or a combination of certain pages - then they'll probably be less bothered by seeing your Ads after their visit (and, of course, are probably more likely to convert).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Just to add to Moshe and Info's responses, you can edit these settings at campaign level in the settings tab. 

You'll see an advanced settings area with frequency capping under Ad delivery.

You can set at various levels as well, ad, adgroup, daily monthly etc.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Creepy - and effective.

Capping essential - it's a fine line...

I have adopted a definition from one of my clients when talking about remarketing: the ads that follow you around

loved that!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

To keep the remarketing ad content fresh, along with using frequency capping you can try one more simple strategy. Create different variations of image ads. Next, within your remarketing campaign create multiple ad groups, let each of the ad group have different ads. Make sure the image ads are very creative and unique without making all of them look similar. Lastly, when setting your frequency capping restrict the number of Impression per user per day for each ad group. By doing so you will be assured that your same remarketing ad is not shown to your site visitor all day.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi birchlore.

sanjana has a great idea! I hadn't thought of doing that.

Yah, I went to Musician's Friend web site to look at some stuff. Their ads have been following me around (aka, stalking) ever since! I didn't think it was too creepy, but a little bit for sure.

Take some of the steps recommended in this thread to mitigate the creepiness! If you set up ad groupd as suggested buy sanjana, you might consider setting different frequency caps in the groups to try to find the perfect mix.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Wow, very helpful.

For frequency capping - what would be considered a lot of impressions per user per day? What would be considered not very many?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Birchlore,

There is no simple, direct answer to this question.

The only way to find the best Frequency cap for your campaign, is as always in PPC 'test' different numbers Smiley Happy

You can find the best combination for your campaign based on engagement (clicks) and effectiveness (conversions).

Best of luck with your experiments!