5.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is quality score a joke?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign with 15%+ CTR across the account with only single keyword ad groups and specific landing pages yet my quality score is 5-7. The ad groups have match type variations of the same keyword and yet landing page quality changes between above average and below average in the same ad group. Ads themselves are highly relevant due to using SKAGs. The same campaign was imported to Bing ads and has QS of 8-10 across all keywords

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is quality score a joke?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
The title of this made me laugh. Thanks for that lol.

Sometimes it can feel like it, however do t forget your CPC, negative keyword management and expected click through rate also effect quality score too. It's not just about relevance even thought it is the most important aspect.

Another thing, you need substantial data to build a good quality score and historical data makes a big difference.

Quality score is basically Google trying to make it easier for people to optimise accounts without giving them an real formula to follow.

When looking at the quality of keywords I always keep the ratio 40:60 in mind for quality score:actual performance data.

A keyword can be 5/10 quality score and still be the best keyword in an account ROAS wise.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Colton M;

If this is a competitive vertical this could happen. QS is relative to other advertisers. I agree that a CTR of 15% is high but do remember 2 points:

The CTR for QS calculation is different than the one shown in the UI. It's calculated only when the search term exactly matched the keyword and the ad was clicked. So, if your ad is clicked when a synonym  was matched to a broad match KW, this click is not counted towards  "CTR for QS calculation".

If the average CTR within your vertical is in the range of 15%+-2% you are still within the average.... Smiley Surprised

Continue to focus on the CTR. This is the major component. The search terms report can help identify which search terms were matched to a keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree with you, Q.S guideline set by Google is misleading and Joke.

But, I am 100% confident that, You increase your bidding amount, Q.S will increase.

Google gives more preference to bidding money than anything else.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
@Hosting Raja, it is obvious. If you will bid for top positions, your ad extensions will be eligible to trigger along with the ads. And these tend to attract customers to click.
At the same time the top position itself factors a lot. It is like if any user is comparing or searching something he/she will open all the links on the 1st page. Hence, few chances for other pages links.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Quality score is a good ruler, and boosts your own campaign reporting. If your ad performance does not meet expectation, quality score is frame-work for diagnosis.