AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it worth having a keyword with a CPC I can't afford?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have some keywords in my campaign that I have set a 2.00 Max CPC, which is the most my budget will allow me. The keywords are below the first page bid. Is it worth having these keywords, or should I pause/ Delete them?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it worth having a keyword with a CPC I can't afford?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello John R,

Welcome to adwords community, 

If your keywords bids are more then 2.00 then increase your bid, where you ads will shown.Once your account history will be good,automatically your cpc will be decreases. In Account History you have to maintain your CTR(Click through rate) and your Quality Score. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

With a limited budget I would not "go wild" and spend budget on expensive keywords;

I also would not use "broad match" since those can "attract" clicks that do not convert;

I would try to find the "exact match" keywords that covert the best

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If you are getting the clicks on your Keywords with the current bid and if those Keywords are actually converting you then you can keep them.

Also, try to increase your Quality Score of the Keyword by ad relevancy, Keywords Relevancy and Landing page Relevancy which will eventually reduce the first page bid.

Also try different match types as mentioned by Moshe as using specific Keywords will ensure much more relevant clicks.

Daman
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As the most recent post says, I would keep them in if they are not doing you any harm. 

Many a time I have seen a keyword that is either 'not showing due to quality score' or 'below first page bid', yet it is receiving impressions and clicks. Albeit this won't be as many clicks as you could get if you did increase your CPC, but something is better than nothing, if it is within your budget and you are not getting a very low QS from it. 

Side note; how come you can not afford to go above 2.00 CPC? I mean, what made you decide this? Is it because you have other keywords you prefer to bid more on? 

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Jack's reply here is the direction I'd take on this question.  Why can't you afford more than £2 a day is really what you should be asking yourself.  This is a favourite topic of mine so I apologise in advance if this turns into a rant...

There should really only be a couple of situations in which the term "afford" should appear in your AdWords budget decisions:

1)  Where you are starting a new Campaign and have not yet gathered enough data to assess performance

2)  Where you are deliberately promoting a product or service for "brand awareness" purposes and expect no (or limited) measurable financial return.

However, even in the first case, it is a false economy to try and run AdWords with a very low daily budget and/or where the CPC of your Keywords is a high percentage of your daily budget.  I really must put all these things together in one place, but in the meantime, here's one link...

Decision Paths to a Budget (Article)

IF you are in a position of a limited spend, for some reason, you're really much better off saving your money until you can spend more over a shorter period.  In other words, don't spend £2 a day for a month, spend £60 in a single day (or maybe £30 in two days).  Where your average CPC is close to your daily budget - even with just one Keyword - Google is showing your Ad very rarely and you may simply be throwing that money away.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits