AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it still worthwhile using all match types?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I add keywords I like to add with three match types; Exact, Phrase and Modified Broad Match.

With Exact and Phrase not functioning as they once used too, is it more beneficial to just use Modified Broad Match to prevent the spreading of data across three match types?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it still worthwhile using all match types?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @MochaMedia;

I partially agree.

I keep 3 match types and bid accordingly - the highest on exact and the lowest on BMM). I rarely use the classic broad. 

Using only BMM restricts you with bidding higher on exact and phrase

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

Adding to  @MosheTLV comments, Using 3 match types or not out dated, but you have to follow few strategies to utilize all the keywords generate more traffic.

• If I want to use 3 match types I will follow below campaign structure to capture all the traffic.
  • I will create 3 separate ad groups for different match types.
  • 1st ad group all exact match keywords with no negatives.
  • 2nd ad group all phrase keywords with all exact match negative keywords.
  • 3rd ad group all BMM or Classic Broad keywords with phrase & exact negative keywords.
  • Adding to this search quires came from broad match keywords, I will add those search queries as keywords in Phrase match, also all phrase match keywords search queries I will add those search queries as keywords in exact match.

Also monitor your stats by using Segment tab select by ‘Keyword match type’ option.

Its time consuming to make this setup, but it will give you good results.

I hope it will help to you.

Thanks,

Aravindhu.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Aravindhu Ch

I have to say (again, as I say this often) I've yet to see a compelling reason for using this type of positive/negative match typing by Groups.  I cannot see a good reason why you would want to force AdWords to use a specific Keyword match type when another could match at a lower cost.  AdWords will automatically pick the most appropriate Keyword where more than one is a possible match and forcing the result in this way will likely have only one result - increased costs.

I'd be interested in hearing your own reasons for working in this way.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Jon_Gritton Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

My basic principle to create these types of ad groups in Campaign is to get more relevancy between keywords, search terms and Ads. As well as If I want to create keyword list I will prefer this strategy to get more keyword ideas.

I agree with your comments also, Google will decide which keyword is more relevant but I would like to control over my keywords.  Also Q.S for these keywords also would be high, this will lower my cost of click.

I hope, you understand my view, Also If I have to go with the three match type options, which way to proceed, if don’t want to prefer this strategy.

It will help me so much if I have other strategy apart from this one.

Thanks,

Aravinndhu.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Aravindhu Ch thanks for responding.

In honesty I don't see how using the negative blocking technique is going to help you achieve any of your stated objectives other than "control" and I can't see how that control is beneficial.  I can't see how Quality Score will be any better using this method - in fact it's more likely to be lower if you end up forcing a match that doesn't agree with Google's own algorithms.  You won't lower costs in this way, you're more likely to increase them since one of the considerations of the algorithm is CPC/QS so you're most likely to direct to a match that has a higher than necessary CPC.  Discovery of new Keywords will happen anyway with the Phrase and Broad matches, forcing in this way won't increase or decrease discovery since there's nothing to discover if the search term exactly matches the Keyword and if it doesn't exactly match, the search term can only match to Phrase or Broad anyway.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I guess the advantage of splitting by match types allows you to eliminate unwanted clicks.

For example; if the keyword "red shoes" is added in three match types across three adgroups Google would trigger the most relevant (so where told) which would be exact match. You may find through testing the exact match converts poorly so you pause the keyword. Now with negative match [red shoes] added to the broad and phrase groups, this exact match keyword won't be triggered by these terms either.

In addition you may find that +red +shoes converts poorly so you pause that leaving "red shoes" phrase which might be your winning keyword.

I can understand what @Aravindhu Ch is saying however I have yet to come across a situation where broad, phrase and exact conversion rates are poles apart. Yes, the conversion rates do differ but so does the volume of searches. So broad may send more conversions at a higher CPA, exact less conversions at a lower CPA and phrase somewhere in the middle. Then it comes down to bid management.