AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to retarget/remarket based on click the number of click through to the site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Retargeting

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it possible to retarget/remarket based on click the number of click through to the site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lebbiec,

Do you mean to retarget if the same person clicks on your ad more than once, or a minimum number more than one? I don't think you can do that directly with AdWords.

If you mean retarget to those who clicked on your ad, yes you can do that. What I do is test for the presence of a gclid value in the query string. If one exists, I then allow the re-marketing code to run. If no gclid value exists, I do not allow the code to run. This separates AdWords traffic from all other traffic.

Here's a thought. Test for the presence of a gclid value. If one exists, set your own cookie with a count of 1. If that cookie already exists, bump the count. When the count reaches your desired threshold, then let the re-marketing code run for that user. It could take an awfully long time to build up the minimum number for your remarketing campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Is it possible to retarget/remarket based on click the number of click through to the site?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete,
Quick question, what is the process for testing for the GCLID presence? I think this could be quite an effective strategy.

Thanks,
Matt
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Matt,

Well, if you have to ask you might want to get help with this.

First, it depends on whether you do it on the client side with Javascript or on the server side with a different scripting language.

The deal is to look at the query string and test for the presence of the string "gclid". It doesn't matter what the value is. In Javascript,

if (document.location.search.search(/gclid/)>=0) {
do something here.
}

On the server side, in PHP something like this:

if ( array_key_exists('gclid',$_REQUEST) ) {
    do something here.
}

Unless you get a lot of traffic that has clicked on your ad more than once, it will take a long time to build up the required numbers for remarketing. If your cookie is deleted, you'll start all over with that visitor. If you do it on the server side, you might want to keep a record of some sort of the number of cookies issued for a specfic number of clicks. I would include a unique identifier for the browser in addition to the count, and use that identifier in your table. You might also want to include the date the cookie was last set. That would give you an idea of how long to keep people on the list. You might even want to include the IP address to help identify invalid clicks.

I consider this to be a non-trivial excersize. In other words, if you're not comfortable and proficient with programming, get some help. It has the potential of brekaing a lot of things if not done right.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for this - I'll shoot the info through to our programmer who should be able to assist.